Hello

Nandopsis

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am from Calgary. I feel the same as you J-roc. Forums on the net cater toward a whole different dynamics and geography. Not many people on them (at least the ones I am on) have anybody locally participating.

Things like retailer reviews, fish store finds and general experience are hard to find when you are talking to people from another continent. Anyway, looking forward to it.

:mellow:

Little bit about me I am 28, can be a real smart @$$, opinionated prick. I do however love my cichlids.

:wacko:

I am from Calgary. I feel the same as you J-roc. Forums on the net cater toward a whole different dynamics and geography. Not many people on them (at least the ones I am on) have anybody locally participating.

Things like retailer reviews, fish store finds and general experience are hard to find when you are talking to people from another continent. Anyway, looking forward to it.

:mellow:

Little bit about me I am 28, can be a real smart @$$, opinionated prick. I do however love my cichlids.

:wacko:

Same. Same. Same. I am also 28....live in Calgary, Girlfriend in Washington State, also HUGE into fish.....No kids, never married, yet. Have a cat. Breeding whatever cichlid you want bred! :D

post-1-1082882151

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I"m Valerie. I"m from Edmonton and i'm very glad someone finally made a forum just for albertans. I"m 21 and still trying to finish school. Right now i'm into African cichlids,specificaly malawis, but also keep shell dwellers. here a bit about my tanks

I have a 90g full of africans

a 10g of L.ocellatus(trio)

20g for ocellatus fry(should be ready in afew months if anyone from edmonton is interested)

15g planted ram and cardinal tank

58g planted angelfish and various tetras

and 10 and 5 g fry tanks

Guest Menagerie

Hi! These are my tanks in all their glory! I spend a lot of my time of my time on Aquarium Advice, but I love my cichlids and read posts on this board often.

80 Gallon Mbuna Cichlid Tank with tons of lace rock, basalt, some Texas Holey Rock, ornament stump and one piece of natural wood; Via Aqua canister filter: 5 Pseudotropheus zebras (1 blue, 1 white, 2 orange, 1 OB), 2 Pseudotropheus ?s, 2 Pseudotropheus daktari, Red Top Zebra--Pseudotropheus Sandraracinos, Lemon Yellow (Electric Yellow)--Labidochromis caeruleus, White tail--Gephyrochromis Aceii, Rusty cichlid-- Iodotropheus sprengerae, Powder Blue cichlid--Pseudotropheus socolofi, one confused Blue Acara—Aequidens pulcher Striped River Catfish--Mystus vittatus, one ugly Synodontis, and MTS

50 Gallon Community Tank with small gravel and gravel that looks like river stones, fake plants, and lots of natural wood; 304 Fluval: 11 assorted Cory Cats, Rubber Lip Pleco, white spotted Bristle Nosse pleco, 2 Bolivian Rams, 8 Kuhli Loaches, 4 Silver-tip Tetras, 5 Serpae Tetra, 4 Apistos, 1 clown loach-- Botia macracanthus (just visiting), 2 yo-yo loaches--Botia almorhae, 2 Gold dust Mollies, and a baby hybrid socolofi/zebra cross

29 gal FW Tank with black gravel, few fake plants and centerpiece castle (I got tired of all “natural” tanks); 104 Fluval: 4 assorted rounder tetras, a young convict cichlid, and MTS

20 gal Brichardi Breeding Tank with sand and river rock; bio wheel: 2 Neolamprologus brichardi (just my luck—the two I purchased turned out to be a “couple”) FRY!!, two juvie S. petricola, and MTS

10 Gallon Badis badis Hex Tank with giant fake fern and natural wood; mini bio wheel and wall of bubbles: 4 Badis badis, Rubber Lip pleco, and 5 pygmy cories

10 Gallon Shellie Tank with sand, lots of shells; Aquaclear 150: 4 Neolamprologus multifasciatus, and MTS

• 2 months later...

hi

yep, another newbie

I have just moved to a small village about 50 miles northeast of Calgary

from Surrey B.C.

I have a great love for fish and was an angelfish breeder back there, however sold everything when I moved east.

Out there I had almost 3000 gals runnin in 65 tanks tryin to breed 11 pairs at the peak.So if anyone has any questions I would like to try to be of help even when I am no longer breeding.

wayne stevenson aka doby

Welcome aboard Wayne.

You certainly will be a busy person , here. Anyone with as much Expierence as you have.

Sounds like you had your hands full ! lol....

Do you plan on setting up any tanks, once you are settled in ?

Smokey

Just wanted to say hi and I am so glad that I found this forum.

A little about me I am 29, mom to a very active 7yr old.

I am from Central Alberta around the Red Deer area.

At the moment I have 2 tanks set up a 10 gal and 20 gal, and looking for a place to set up my 3rd which is a 30 gal. I mostly have guppies at the moment since my son luvs them, but garenteed when I have my next tank set up guppies are not going to be in it since I would like to have some cichlids. Between the two tanks I have a clown loach, a couple of dojo loaches, a swordtail or two, a pleco, another algea eater no idea of the name since he was given to me and my betta.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Welcome aboard Wayne.

You certainly will be a busy person , here. Anyone with as much Expierence as you have.

Sounds like you had your hands full ! lol....

Do you plan on setting up any tanks, once you are settled in ?

Smokey

hi Smokey

don't get in here too often, prefer chat rooms where the replys are instant.]

like I said befor, if anyone wants my input on breeding angels all they gotta do is ask, may take a few days to get back but I will

• 1 month later...

Greetings, fish-people!

I am from Calgary, 47 yrs old. My wife and I, some 5 years ago, said 'Hey, a fishtank wold look great against that wall. How expensive could it be?' And that was the beginning of our undoing. Here we are, late 2004, and we have the following:

33 g tank with tanganyikan dwarfs, some breeding, some eating the fry.

50 g tank with breeding groups of maleri peacocks, rusty cichlids, perlmutts and a pair of optimistic zebra obliquidens. The maleri just won't breed, but the others are fertile as potting soil.

90 g community tank with tetras and rainbowfish and a group of peacocks that won't breed.

100g cichlid tank with mostly pseudotropheus and haps. Not too crowded yet, but we're working on it.

How expensive could it be, indeed. My wife won't let me entertain the idea of saltwater, due to the expense. Hmph.

Looking forward to making all of your acquaintances.

Neil