Hello

Nandopsis

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Haha, I know who you are ... Very welcome on this forum, your insights and goodies will be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I am from Calgary and I have been in the aquarium hobby for as long as I can remember. At the moment, I have a 120g tank that used to be stocked with cichlids. I am thinned out quite a bit since I don't spend nearly as much time on it as I did before. 

I also a turtle tank that I plan to upgrade very soon.

Looking forward to making all of your acquaintances.

Tony

• 1 month later...

hello, 

i live in calgary, 40 and have decided to get back into the aquariums,  i've been running a 65gallon tank for a while, but with old parts, decided i was going to add a new 90gallon tank to my collection,  heard there was lots of great help here,  and i look forward to reading it, 

What type of tank/fish are you looking at getting. Planted, rock, biotope, community, ... I'm partial to planted tanks, they look prettier and more diverse to me and I believe they are easier to maintain and better for the fish. There are a few plant gurus in Calgary and Hung Lee always has a wide assortment of plants, including less common ones. If you are into South American fish Curtis Jerrom in Calgary has some really cool fish. You'll find his stock list in the fish classifieds under "back at it ..." or something like that (look at the first post of first page for up to date list.

hello and thanks for the info,  i'll have to check into it when i'm at that stage,  my 90g tank,  i'm starting a whole new setup,  been spending last few weeks looking into the new equipment out there and i'm blown away at what i see,   i was thinking about trying out for the first time a salt water system,  but not sure i can invest in the lighting system for marine life i'd like to add,  i.e. live corals,   so i'm leaning towards another freshwater tank,  i'm going all new equipment,  been to quite a few different pet/fish stores and there's so many options,  my first task tho,  is building a stand strong enough to hold it :)

ive been reading a lot of posts and seen a lot of photos of everyone's tanks,  they look awsome i want them all, it's hard to chose, 

I'm a low, and on occasion, no-tech aquarist. Never filters, sometimes no circulation pump, some on sunlight others on DIY LED, and in summer some without heater or anything electric. That is certainly not the only way, or best way, to do it but don't get all distracted by the shiny UV sterilizers, CO2 setups, wifi-enabled pH readers and what have you. They can help but they can also create needless complications and leave less money for the most important thing - high quality fish and plants.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello.

I'm new to this addictive hobby with it's sometimes very steep learning curves. Started off last spring with 2  community tanks. Then added a 10 G shrimp tank and another tank on the kitchen counter for a few endlers and a pretty blue crayfish (Marmorkreb-that I quite adore when she's not hiding with her berries).

Recently got an established shrimp tank for my bday (which has been giving me some trouble; the tank, not so much the birthday). Split up the endlers by gender. Now at 6 tanks, 28 G and under...so far.

There are some really lovely people in this community. Looking forward to learning and meeting more of you!

Lorna in YYC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys and Gals, I was on this site a few years ago. At the time I had a salt water tank. Then more life took over and I got out of the saltwater hobby........but before I left I built a ~400 gallon system c/w sump. I was going to use it for saltwater at the time but times have changed.....this tank has sat for the past 3-4yrs.....now I am thinking about setting a freshwater system. I have been researching Cichlids and thinking about making a Malawi tank. The tank is empty and I have been working on the fish room as I needed to get the exhaust system going and some electrical that needed to be completed as well. So I have a tank and a sump and I have not hooked them together as of yet. Things I am thinking about is how to set up the sump and tank etc. I just wanted to say hi! and see if anyone has some ideas about livestock. 

Oh I am from just outside of Calgary.

Brad

• 2 months later...

Hi. Im new to the  hobby, started 2 years back with a 5g tank. Now,  my enthusiasm and love with the hobby never soured down. I have 4 tanks 180g, 60g and 2 10s. Thanks for the add Hope i could learn more from here.

Hi. Im new to the  hobby, started 2 years back with a 5g tank. Now,  my enthusiasm and love with the hobby never soured down. I have 4 tanks 180g, 60g and 2 10s. Thanks for the add Hope i could learn more from here.