Eheim 2215 problem

Fishaholic!

Hello all....I'm new here, as far as getting an account, but I've been reading the posts here for quite some time, so I don't really feel like a newbie!

My problem is: I've been using an Eheim 2215 classic on my 90 gallon community tank for about 10 months now. In the beginning the flow seemed pretty decent, but I'm finding that now it isn't what it used to be. I've tried cleaning the filter, which helps a bit, but the water flow is nowhere near what it used to be. So...I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions, or maybe has it happened to you?

The only other thing I can think to do is to clean out the long hoses that run along the back of the tank. The hoses are somewhat see through and they don't look that bad, but they're the only things that I haven't cleaned yet.

Any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Cleaning the hoses would be a good start maybe there is a blockage on the intake some where, or a kink in the hose.

Within the 10 months have you replaced the fine filter? As well you should use siphoned water from the aquarium to rinse out the course filter as well as the efimech and efisubstrat. This should be done every 4-6 months or earlier depending on the amount of detrious which goes through your filter. You should also clean out the impeller-check your manual for details. :pff:

I have a 2215 that I bought for my first 77 gallon tank. I had the same experience as you, the flow was good at the start and then decreased. With a larger fish load, plants and more time the filter just did not keep up quite as well. You can clean your hoses, the impellor ect., but you will probably never get the filter as clean as it was originally. All of that extra munge hampers flow and slows things down.

The 2215 is rated up to tanks in the 75-90 gallon range, but they are only a good biological filter for that size. They won't move ennough water to pick up anything, or even to create a half decent current in the tank. I eventually bought a 2217 when Pisces had them on sale for 169.99 and added it to that 77 gallon tank. The 2215 I rotate around to my other tanks when I need more filtration or am having a filter problem. The 2217 is a great size for the 77 gallon, but it might come up short for a 90 gallon. After seeing the benefits of my FX5 on my 110 gallon, I would probably upgrade to that or combine the 2215 with a AC 500.

Good luck. I felt ripped off when my ehieim slowed down, but I was just expecting too much from that filter. I know realize that the money spent was well worth it. 4 years running and that filter has been ultra realiable, that is much more than I can say for the Filstar Xp3 (worn out seals in 1.5 years) and for a Fluval 403 (didn't get it new, but after running for a week I put it in a box and eventually put it away.)

Probably more info than you wanted, but other people may wonder in the future about the 2215s. They are up to the hype, but in a different way from how the marketing people would like us to believe.

Kevin

Thanks guys! I have changed out the filter pads, and all the other fun stuff, but........I don't think I've cleaned the impeller! Where the heck is the impeller? I assumed that it was built into the top part of the filter, and that it didn't come apart. I lost the manual about 10 minutes after I got this filter, as you can tell. I guess I'll be doing a search on the Eheim site, lol!

Regardless, I'm wondering if I should try using anther filter along with the 2215. I have a Fluval 404 running on a 77 gallon, that is doing a great job, one of my cleanest tanks. On my smaller tanks I use Aquaclears. I run an Aquaclear 70 on my 30 gallon, witch is my African Cichlid tank, and that tank is also amazingly clean and clear.

My 90 gallon is my show tank that is up against a wall, and it has a canopy on the top, so that means that I can't use an Aquaclear (that would have been my first choice for cost and ease of use). I have a Eheim 2217 that is brand new, still in box, that I was thinking of adding to my 90, along with the 2215 (the 2217 I was saving for my 75 gallon that isn't set up yet, but now I'm having second thoughts, I don't think it will be enough filter for my Africans as they get bigger).

Anyway, please let me know if you think combining the two Eheims sounds like a good idea, or if not maybe someone has another filter in mind that would work in my situation. I'd like to keep the 2215 running if for nothing other than the bio load.

Thanks, and sorry if this is a little long winded, I've been trying to figure this out for a while, and it's getting to me!

Natalie