New to Saltwater.......suggestions

Nemo

We are just finishing up cycling our 44 gallon tank. We are ready to add shrimp and crabs. I presently have a chocolate chip starfish (I know they eat soft coral) in the tank and don't know what exactly to get. I hear blue legged hermits eat coral. Is this true? I want something that eats the algae as there is a lot growing in the tank right now. As for fish I want to get Clowns for sure and was thinking about Damsels but have heard mixed things about them. Can anyone give me some info or suggestions

Thanks

a good fish to start with is a Blue Chromis. It is a member of the damsel family, but is a bit hardier and a little bit more accepting of similar fish in the tank.

As far as the clown, are you going to have an anenmone in the tank as well? The symbiotic relationship between the two is a sight to see.

a good fish to start with is a Blue Chromis. It is a member of the damsel family, but is a bit hardier and a little bit more accepting of similar fish in the tank.

As far as the clown, are you going to have an anenmone in the tank as well? The symbiotic relationship between the two is a sight to see.

I thought the anenome was hard to keep and killed other fish by stinging them. Is this true?

It can be. Anenomes are like fish in that there are species that are easier or harder to keep than others. As far as killing other fish in the tank, most of the fish will be ok. After a shock or two they will learn to avoid it. Shouldn't die from it though.

It can be. Anenomes are like fish in that there are species that are easier or harder to keep than others. As far as killing other fish in the tank, most of the fish will be ok. After a shock or two they will learn to avoid it. Shouldn't die from it though.

What type of anenome is easier to keep? If they sting how do you pick them up? Do they sting you as well?

• 1 month later...

I have a white sebae (sp.?) anemone and a green bubble tip anemone and have not had any trouble with them stinging any fish or corals or anything. The bubble tip is hosting a clown as well as a white carribean crab. As stated - no problems. However, I have only had a salt tank up and running for about five months now so maybe some of the more experienced members have some horror stories to share.

• 3 months later...

Glad to see another person getting into saltwater!! Lots and lots of possibilities for your tank. I have several blue hermits in my tank, and they have never bothered the corals. I guess that's just my experience, others may have had a different one. I have a red hermit in there as well. Nice color, and fun to watch as they pick off the rock. Good luck with your new tank

you should pick up a pair of coral life gloves.when adding fish and inverts you will want to put them in a bucket and slowly add your tank water.until the specific gravity is the same and the temp is close to your tank salt water fish and inverts are way more sensitive than fresh dont just float them in the bag i did this my first time and lost 50 buck worth of fish and shrimp was told to even do it with snails.you will want gloves even to handle your rock as their may be some things you dont want to touch like bristtle worms (ouch) i handled a mushroom rock and like 2 mins later my arm went numb and was havin trouble breathing. just my 2 cents

Edited by prodogg02

• 10 months later...

Do need coral to have anenmone? or will live rock be enough? or do u even need either?

You don't need an anemone to have a clown and you don't need a clown to have an anemone. You don't need coral to have an anemone either. You should have LR as it is great biofiltration and gives the nem somewhere to attach. If you do want to keep an anemone or coral what you need are good lights. www.canreef.com has lots of info. in it's library that can help you to research the requirements needed to keep anemones/corals/sw fish.

Edited by sharuq1

You don't need an anemone to have a clown and you don't need a clown to have an anemone. You don't need coral to have an anemone either. You should have LR as it is great biofiltration and gives the nem somewhere to attach. If you do want to keep an anemone or coral what you need are good lights. www.canreef.com has lots of info. in it's library that can help you to research the requirements needed to keep anemones/corals/sw fish.

Thanks sharuq... I'm sure I will be picking your brain a bit here in the near future.. I just started my 54G SW tank tonight (originally planned to be live plant tank), but with my roommate doing his 20H Nano, I couldn't resist giving it a try... I already had the lights.. now its just getting enough water flow taken care off..