Recommend a new Canister

bosshog

Just wondering what kind of cannister filters people are using, and what are the likes and dislikes of the various types and brands. I've used fluval 404's for years, had lots of impeller and motor trouble. Now I use pond pumps on them, the only thing the cannister is for it to hold the media. I'm thinking I may buy a new cannister and would like some opinions.

Brad

Just wondering what kind of cannister filters people are using, and what are the likes and dislikes of the various types and brands. I've used fluval 404's for years, had lots of impeller and motor trouble. Now I use pond pumps on them, the only thing the cannister is for it to hold the media. I'm thinking I may buy a new cannister and would like some opinions.

Brad

I have had 8 eheim cannister filters and never had any problems. Pay a little more and in the long run it is more than worth it.

I've got about 8 or 9 Fluval canisters of varying sizes and have only had trouble with two. If I had the money I would be buying the eheims aswell. The only advantage I had with the fluvals is that I was able to procure most of them off ebay for a fraction of their (ridiculously high) store prices. I just can't seem to get an eheim off ebay for what I would consider a reasonable discount.

I actually have the 2nd seller bookmarked. Those canisters look like a good price now but usually go too high in price by the time the auction is over. That, and I'm an ebay sniper. I never bid til the last 10 seconds. (Yes, I'm that guy you all hate! :guns: )

I'm all in for Eheim classics too; can't beat the long-term reliability of them if you're willing to pay the extra price (and they're not nearly as expensive as the newer models). If you've got a large enough tank though, I'm both pleased and shocked with the performance so far of the FX5.

I actually have the 2nd seller bookmarked. Those canisters look like a good price now but usually go too high in price by the time the auction is over. That, and I'm an ebay sniper. I never bid til the last 10 seconds. (Yes, I'm that guy you all hate! :guns: )

Ah yes, I always run into you people on Ebay, stealing my deals away lol. Happened like 5 times to me when I was bidding on some spinners for fishing. ><

Edited by CalgaryFan