So get this

rudy

I walk into Ocean city while they are unloading a shipment from Shri Lanka. They have a mantis so I buy it.

I have never seen this species before and think it was a O. Havensis then later a O. cultrifer.

I later get an email from Dr. Roy Caldwell (Berkley University) saying it is neither but an O Japonicus which Dr. Roy himself has never seen a live species and needless to say wants it.

Should I -trade him for a different species?

-sell it to him?

-loan it to him for studies

-keep it for myself...

I respect Dr. Roy and like his work a lot and would like to help him out, however me and a rare mantis is cool as hell....sooo. what do I do? I know I should do the right thing here but it is killing me

It is the most intensely colored mantis I have ever seen. Bright pink, blue and Yellow

If he wants it that badly, is he going to breed it? Promise you top picks? It is an amazing score for you. What a tough decision. Can he do any research through you? Maybe he can study it a while with the understanding that after 6 months(just a number), he can return it to you?

There's got to be a way to help him out and keep your treasure tooCan't wait to see the pics !.

Edited by Qattarra

nvm, I need to learn to read.

Loaning to Berkley likely means bye-bye mantis. Maybe Dr. Roy could offer some kind of non-monetary reimbursement, like perhaps some wicked research material, or some consideration on other species he may come across....

Edited by Michael Roth

If it were me, I'd probably send it to him. Having a guy in his position 'owe you one', you never know what that may mean in the long run; first call when he gets something else new and cool and has 'a couple more than he needs'. Or he finds this one is a new species and it's named after you.

Tim, chat on the phone with him. Like Kyle mentioned, having someone like that"owe" you a favour, would be a nice catch. I'm sure he's not thinking he's going to get it for nothing....maybe he's got some cool ones for trade, and by the time you arrange to get it to him, you've already had an incredibly rare mantis for a while, right?

Tim, chat on the phone with him. Like Kyle mentioned, having someone like that"owe" you a favour, would be a nice catch. I'm sure he's not thinking he's going to get it for nothing....maybe he's got some cool ones for trade, and by the time you arrange to get it to him, you've already had an incredibly rare mantis for a while, right?

Def. Agreed!

I talked to Roy and due to the decate nature of the animal and the border crap he is going to stay at my house. I am going to attempt to help he study it from far for Roy....heehee

• 3 years later...

Mantis cam launching in 3. 2. 1.........

Well this definately isn't NASA

Anyone know how to setup a webcam to the computer and have it record??

Good luck and Congratulations

L