how to fatten up an anorexic triggerfish

Glassyeye

well i am getting very worried about my triggerfish, he wont eat anymore he is so skiny you can see his skull and spinal cord. Im really worried that he is going to die, he is a friend to me. ive tryed NLS flakes and pellets (he is at most 2.5 inches long) ive tryed frozen foods such as Artemia Congelata, Squid, Artemia Franciscaba, Krill (frozen and freez dried) , mysis, plankton. but no matter what i offer him he wont eat :( like i said im really worried. any help would be very much appreciated

Nature's Corner Store here in Edmonton sells a NLS formula that has a lot of garlic in it.

It has saved many a fish of mine. Apparently the garlic will sometimes help stimulate the appetite.

It's called Spectrum Thera + A.

• 2 years later...

Get the Thera-A and if that's not enough get some Garlic Guard from Seachem. You might want to try the NLS for Finicky/pickey/snobbish fish. I can't remember what they called it but you can once again gat it at Natures corner store.

Good luck

L

If you buy the NLS it'll just be a waste of money. He's not going to eat prepared foods. Ecosystems Garlic Elixir is a potent stuff that is basically the best garlic additive you can use....its so potent you need to keep it in two contains. Mix mysis, krill, and brine shrimp with a couple drops of that in a water solution and that should do the trick. If not you might be out of luck.

If you buy the NLS it'll just be a waste of money. He's not going to eat prepared foods.

What makes you say that? Not that I'm saying that it will eat prepared food, but most triggers will.

There could be something else going on with this fish that's causing it to go off of its feed, besides just being picky.

Glasseye - how long have you had this fish - what trigger sp. size of tank - tankmates, etc?

Was it eating previously, or not since you purchased it. Fill in a few blanks ......

Edited by RD.

• 2 months later...

Try getting some live clams from the market. If you have an asian market, they will have the best selection. You can freeze them and then thaw them out as needed. I don't know a trigger that won't eat then. Just watch your skimmer, it will over react with all the protien from the clams.

• 1 month later...
Seeing as this thread was started 4 months ago, and the OP has never posted back, I'm guessing that it's a bit late for advice.

Lol, wow, this thread was a 'rebirth'.

Im sure someone else will benefit from it though!

I dont think Parachromis1 was suggesting NLS was a bad food(it is, infact, a good food). Sure, NLS will fatten the fish up if it chooses to eat it... but higher protein/fatty acid food like frozen will probably be more readily accepted and build weight a little quicker than prepared food, thats all?

Edited by SA_Cichlids

Agreed, but that's not what he said, or how he said it. Most triggers will in fact eat pellet food with minimal if any training, and the OP had already stated from the get go that the fish was also refusing all of the various frozen that he tried.

ive tryed frozen foods such as Artemia Congelata, Squid, Artemia Franciscaba, Krill (frozen and freez dried) , mysis, plankton. but no matter what i offer him he wont eat

I think the only logical conclusion was/is that this fish was in serious trouble, which is why I asked for further info such as "how long have you had this fish - what trigger sp. - size of tank - tankmates, etc? Was it eating previously, or not since you purchased it.

Fill in a few blanks ......"

The lesson to be learned here is don't wait until your fish is so skinny that you can see its skull & spinal cord, before you react.

Either way, a bit of a moot point now .......

Edited by RD.