Fish Nutrition 101

RD.

This is somewhat of a continuation of the NLS thread, but I felt it might be best if a new thread was started on this subject.

Last year I wrote an article for C-F, which can be found here:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/fish_food_labels.php

It outlines some of the various ways that fish food labels can be manipulated by manufacturers, but at the time I didn't want to mention any specific brands or formulas. At the time that article was written I was a moderator on CF, and as such I had to respect the fact that some of these companies are also site sponsors. As a 'free agent', I no longer have to be overly concerned in that regards. ;)

One thing that many people fail to realize is that for the most part there has been very little research done in the area of feeding ornamental fish. The studies that have been done over the years, are for the most part outdated, and performed only with aquaculture species such as Rainbow Trout, Salmon, Sea Bream, etc, not the fish one will usually find in an aquarium.

Feeding species of fish used in aquaculture is very different from what most of 'us' keep in our tanks in that the goals of people raising fish for food equates to maximum size in minimum amount of time. They aren't concerned with the longevity of the fish, only the most efficient (ie; cheapest) way to get the best possible growth.

For those of you interested, here's a rather long (but interesting) report by Dominique P. Bureau and C.Young Cho

of the Fish Nutrition Research Laboratory, Dept. of Animal and Poultry Science, University of Guelph Ont.

http://www.uoguelph.ca/fishnutrition/feedint.html

A much shorter, but again worthwhile read from the Virginia State University.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/fisheries/420-256/420-256.html

Most commercial brands of fish food will provide enough nutrition to give your fish decent growth, color, and overall health, but IMO there's only a handful that will provide optimum long term nutrition, and allow your fish to show their true potential. Of course IMO the cream of the crop is New Life Spectrum. ;)http://www.nlpublish.com/

Other than very young juvenile fish, no freshwater fish requires dietary fat in the range of 10%.

Not only is it not required, but the excess fat can end up stored in various tissues, specifically the liver. Over time this can lead to the degeneration of the liver, which is more commonly referred to as "Fatty Liver Disease". I recently read an article which included some info from a fish parasitologist at a Canadian University. He was involved with performing autopsies on dead fish at public aquaria and the single most common cause of death he's seen since he started to do the autopsies is "fatty liver disease".

Considering the fact that most African cichlids have an average lifespan of 5-7 years in an aquarium, I certainly don't want to shave a year or two off of their lifespan by feeding an inappropriate diet. Carnivorous species can handle higher amounts of both protein & fat, but unless one feeds them very sparingly, diets high in protein & fat will still cause long term problems from excessive size, obesity, and/or fatty liver disease. I've seen plenty of large/fat fish in aquariums, yet I've never seen a photo of a fat fish in the wild, nor have I seen any captive fish that looked like they were starving to death.

Another thing to keep in mind is that any excess protein, becomes waste, which results in excess ammonia, which eventually leads to increased nitrates. Not to mention the build up of waste on your substrate. Crude Protein can be as high as 45%, but if only 30% is utilized by the fish, then take a guess where the rest goes.

On the subject of grains ....... certain grains have their place in fish food. They provide a small amount of energy, help synthesize fats and protein, and are used as a binding agent when processing the flakes/pellets. A certain amount of grains is quite acceptable, but if the next 3-4 ingredients following the main ingredient are carbohydrates, then it's time to be looking for a new brand of food. After a certain percentage grains become nothing more than a cheap filler, and in African cichlids, a potential for bloat.

Here's a prime example of a low grade "Cichlid" food.

Ingredients: Fish Meal - Wheat Flour - Soy Flour - Soy Protein Concentrate - Corn Gluten Meal - Wheat Germ Meal - Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal - Fish Oil - Salt - Brewers Dried Yeast - Spirulina - Betaine - Shrimp Meal (and various vitamins)

Grain is cheap, high quality fish meal & krill meal is expensive. ;)

Just some random thoughts on the subject of fish nutrition...............

Edited by RD.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like Kensfish will have it in the very near future. If you really want to try it, it's well within reach.

NLS also works well for most "Salt Water" fish, so even the salt freaks on this site can test drive it. ;)

BTW - there's a new formula coming out for some of the finicky species (such as some salt water species), called New Life Spectrumax - Finicky Fish Formula.

RD, great thread with lots of useful info. I'm sure many of us are swayed by marketing and don't take the time to do the proper research to ensure our fish have the most complete diet possoble.

However, your extreme bias for NLS makes you appear more of a salesperson than an enthusiast. As good as it may be, I'm sure there are others that could be considered competition. Why don't you add a few brands to the previous post of yours and make it an actual list.

Thanks again for doing the extra legwork that help benefit this hobby and community.

Edited by CptCleverer

However, your extreme bias for NLS makes you appear more of a salesperson than an enthusiast. As good as it may be, I'm sure there are others that could be considered competition. Why don't you add a few brands to the previous post of yours and make it an actual list.

Just for the record, I am in no way affiliated with Pablo Tepoot, or NLS food. I'm not involved with the manufacture, the distribution, nor the marketing of his food.

I can also say that IMHO there is no other maker of pellet or flake food that even comes close to NLS. Not Hikari, not Hagen, not Omega One, not Wardley's, not Tetra, and from what I've recently read, not Big Al's either. :)

I've looked at them all over the past couple of years, and although some manufacturers make some rather big claims, a quick glance at their ingredients list usually tells the tale.

Of course I have extreme bias towards NLS, IMO it's the best ornamental fish food that has ever been produced. I'm certainly not going to apologize for that.

The reason for adding the various links and nutritional info was to help novices come to their own conclusions about some of the food they may be using.

Albert may not want to read it, but I'm sure 'some' members will find it enlightning. ;)

Edited by RD.

Very informative thread neil, thanks for posting it here.

As for your remark about Omega one goldfish food being a good choice(if it didn't have the high fat). What makes the goldfish formula better then the other omega one foods?

But i tend to agree wit neil, NLS foods are the best i have used. My fish have never looked better. My fry also grew much quicker when fed NLS then they did when i fed "varied" foods.

I also have to say that cyclops are another great food(althought i havent' used the cyclops-eeze brand)

Val - the Goldfish 'small pellets' are approx 1 mm in size, and sinking (which works well for most species of Africans), the min crude protein level is much lower than most of their other formulas (35%), and it also contains kelp, spirulina and astaxanthin. The main problem is the fat level even in this formula is 9%, and the crude fiber is only 2%.

Bundle all that up, and if they lowered the fat level by a few notches, IMO it would be the best 'Omega formula' for most Africans.

Like I said, IMO it's nowhere near the level of NLS, but it's about the only other pellet that comes evenly remotely close.

Edited by RD.