Fish Nutrition 101

RD.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I had used NLS exclusively for over 4 years and was interested in seeing what something else may do for my coloring so i am currently trying a mixture of "Dainichi cichlid" color fx and color supreme. Do you have any knowledge of Dainichi products? I have been feeding it for just over a month and a half or so with still a little mixture of NLS and it appears my colors are "popping" more, especially the reds. Input?

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic! I deal with this issue of food quality and it's ingredients all the time with Koi. I guess it's a lot like finding a good dog food. Some people just won't spend more than $20 for 40 pounds of food..the argument about what's 'in" the food and why it's garbage is lost on them. With Koi, it's kinda the same thing. I personally prefer to feed an excellent product to get excellent results. So...based on this..have you guys ever made your own food for your Cichlids? I make food for my Koi all the time and i was thinking about doing it for my Cichlids. I must admit, i'm one of those kinds of aquarium people that mix all kinds of "pretty and interesting" varieties together. So far for the past few years it's worked out ok..no one has killed anyone and other than a PH crash last year, every thing's been great!

If i was to make homemade food as an addition to their diet, what binding ingredient do you think would be good..gelatin or tofu..or neither? Suggestions would be great! I currently feed about 5-6 different foods like i do with my Koi. That way they get all their nutrient requirements...something for everyone...lol

I think agar would be a great binding agent - I use it from time to time when making a frozen mix.

I think agar would be a great binding agent - I use it from time to time when making a frozen mix.

There are 2 distinct types of agar - one made from pig or beef hooves and one made from seaweed. If you use the animal based one you will have problems as smaller fish cannot properly digest the product and it bungs them up. I buy mine from the health food store.

I have been using home made European shrimp mix for about 7 years with amazing results. I have of course deviated from the base formula over that time and when I approach the tanks as soon as the fish see it they start pushing and shoving each other out of the way so they can grab it 1st. It turns out if you have fish that are finicky or won't eat they will try this as well. My red tail cat which is a die hard meat eater and would rather go hungry than eat pellets will go crazy looking for every little scrap of this stuff that he can find. I don't recall ever seeing any of my fish that wouldn't eat this but it could take a few small portions over a week or so before they realize just how good it is and from then on it is a real fight to see who gets the most.

There are 2 distinct types of agar - one made from pig or beef hooves and one made from seaweed. If you use the animal based one you will have problems as smaller fish cannot properly digest the product and it bungs them up

Agar-agar is derived from seaweed, gelatin is derived from the collagen of animal skins, bones, and other assorted body parts.

*Tongue in cheek* I have noticed a difference in my fish since I started feeding them NLs foods compared to the others I had been using. Yes NLs is messier/dirtier but the basis on that is your fish are eating less of it and it's a matter of finding the right amount. I (personally) don't care for the Hikari brand food as it seems to jump their waste output. My pleco is on their algae wafers (ran out of food for him and grabbed it as it was the only one they had) and he is pooping like crazy. Even he prefers the NLs flakes more them than the wafers now too.

There are tons of crappy low grade foods on the market, I find it much easier to simply list the best.

New Life Spectrum

:thumbs:

I've never heard or Agar..hmm..i'd rather do this with the Koi too. I have been using tofu but seaweed would be better. Being a vegetarian myself, i'd rather not use meat products only plant or fish. I try to keep their base diet closer to what they eat in nature and then add to that. Pretty sure my Koi and Cichlids aren't eating cow hooves in nature..lol..having said that, i'm pretty sure they aren't eating soy either :-)