Kayen's Planted 2.5g - Learning Curve

Kayen

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kev, do you think that growing it like that is faster then CO2 injection. IMO CO2 might be just as fast, but maybe the benefit of that is having plants established once you fill. Just curious, let me know.

I might try it out with CO2, but the thing is i only tried HC with excel which was inconsistent, and perhaps with DIY CO2 it might work better not sure.

One thing for sure is i'll be trying HC with pressurized CO2 in the future.

Advantage to this method is, i just had to spray it every few days, and that's about it, since light is preset on a timer.

Anyways i need a bit of help transferring the innards of this tank over ot the new tank , how can i approach it?

Anyways i need a bit of help transferring the innards of this tank over ot the new tank , how can i approach it?

I think you have to pick out each of the plants very carefully and then transfer the plants again to the main tank. I know its a PITA, but thats the only way I see it. It will be very difficult to scoop out the gravel and the plants together and putting them down onto the main tank.

I think you have to pick out each of the plants very carefully and then transfer the plants again to the main tank. I know its a PITA, but thats the only way I see it. It will be very difficult to scoop out the gravel and the plants together and putting them down onto the main tank.

Might be able to do it with one of those kitty litter scooper dealies.

• 2 years later...

2.5 years later, this tank is finally restored in some capacity:

Full tank shot. You can clearly see quite a bit of diatoms on the glass and on the rocks. I expect those to go away once the tank matures. Still alot of melting leaves. Going to wait until plants fully adapt and gain their submersed leaves. So far it's a wild mix of HM, HC, glosso, DHG all over the tank. I have no intention of separating any of the plants.

FxCam_1311322908782.jpg

FxCam_1311322933565.jpg

Here you can see the crap ton of pearling that i've been getting last few weeks...

FxCam_1311322946720.jpg

Now i have 2 problems.

1: Fauna:

What do i want in this tank?

I'm thinking shrimp, but i've had crappy luck with them in the past.

Maybe a small tiny school of something?

2: Filtration: The internal filter is an eyesore. I have a glass diffuser coming in sooner or later (should be sooner, placed order almost 2 weeks ago...). Budget isn't skyhigh for this tank considering it was put together on spare stuff i had around. Red Sea Nano? DIY behind tank sump? Red Sea Nano sounds most practical?

Does big als still sell those tiny HOB? The ones at Aquagiant are too loud for my taste. Tank is a couple feet away from my bed, so i'd rather not the noise.

Looks wild, and perfect for shrimp. That would be what I would do. As you say, you could do fish but it would be a very small school, may or may not be interesting. However why not buy a few of something and see how they are. Endlers may work or Rasporas. One of those canister filters would be nice for a tank like that. A small HOB would work as well, whatevers cheap i guess.

I ended up using an aquaclear 20 turned down to minimum. Tank is stocked with Boraras Briggitae, and i'm looking for some more shrimp. Started up a 2nd 2.5 with a nice dragon plakat betta in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up using an aquaclear 20 turned down to minimum. Tank is stocked with Boraras Briggitae, and i'm looking for some more shrimp. Started up a 2nd 2.5 with a nice dragon plakat betta in it.

Whats the update on the first 2.5?