Kayen's Planted 2.5g - Learning Curve

Kayen

all oh so far. The names of some of these things are just... uh bland lol.

Hmmm

Natures corner oh how i love that store, and dislike how its on teh otherside of the city, oh well, ill just have to go there on my next pd day (friday! YAY)

ill get some snails, as my betta will most likely munch on the shrimp.

Oh yes an update: i added 2 malaysian trumpet snails, whihc i droped ontop an algae patch, they got to work right away. They got full and crawled off.

i See one borrowed atm.

So how many zebra/spotted snails should i add?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Pulled out the driftwood, took out the HOB which its intake tube kept clogging, replaced with elite mini, now left with what you see here:

Note the water isn't that cloudy... that's just algae growing on the glass LOL. (An oto would be really happy in here haha)

100_1392.jpg

Basically it's a ball of Hygrophila, moss and algae with a pond snail in there somewhere.

Hm unsure of as where to go now... probably going to remove the gravel slowly.

I'll wait until i get more plants and some excel and i'll go from there.

Substrate will be peat moss with a handful of soil mixed in, capped with gravel.

I'll get the peat moss when the snow melts (it's in a bag underneath waste deep snow...funfunfun)

Edit:Oh and like the yellow water? : P

Just did a water change and cleaned off the glass looking better now..

Edit: pic

100_1394.jpg

Edited by Viettxboii

Be careful...those two Malaysian trumpet snails could soon turn into about 140 Malaysian trumpet snails. Each snail can fertilize itself and gives birth to about 70 live young. You might find your tank getting a little overwhelmed. : )

Good luck on the rescape!

Pond snails need other pond snails to make more pond snails.

Are you certain the MTS is actually MTS? They are fertile at 7mm.

Taking a look at the leaves of the hygrophila, they're all growing a furry , hair algae on them..

I'm thinking of just making a 2 litre pop bottle co2 injected into my filters venturi, since i won't be able to get excel anytime soon.

Edit: Algae badness on leaves

100_1397.jpg

Edited by Viettxboii

100_1404.jpg

took some java moss and tied it onto the slate.

Also could iget an id of the algae on the leaves... the long stringy algae is now gone.

Alo at hte end of next week is when i'm doing my tank redo.

The moss carpet slate thigny will be placed in the same position, except that there will be no peat under it and that i will have it buried partially, with the surface sticking up.

100_1417.jpg

Another update... redid the tank..

The bottom layer is peat and lots of mulm, the top is just plain gravel, i like the darker colour of this gravel as well.

Transferred all the fish, and the lone MTS, and ONE pond snail.

I planted a few sprigs of dwarf hygro in the corner, the rest i'm giving to my friend to set up his 5g.

The java moss is in a baggy, I'll do something with it once i get rocks and wood.

100_1437.jpg

update on growth, not much, but alot faster than before i changed the substrate, etc for some reason, because it never grew unless it was floating, now it's growing, and hopefully in a few weeks once its roots get established, it'll get better growth (trimming blah, oh well..)

Well i swapped to an elite hush 5 (supposedly "hush"? so loud my friend didn't want it so i swapped the hush's impeller into my old HOB, and gave it to him, and i put in the impeller from my elite mini (which incidentally came from an elite stingray 5..) and now the hush is actually near silent. Even when i'm not blazing music : ) Flow was still too much even on minimal flow, so i stuffed some sponges on the outflow.

100_1466.jpg

New image with plants, still need rocks for a hardscape, i'll get that arranged on monday as it's a PD day.

Still need to arrange pick up for my excel.., dosing API leafzone 1x a week @ 1ml

Also using the elite mini with a new impeller, the HOB(elite hush is on friends 5 gal, which is getting planted right now as well) was way to loud.

Also since i had to remove the flow control in order for it to effectively work, i had to add a means of flow control, which is a vinyl tube with my old AG HOB intake on at the end for flow dispersal, i've managed to diffuse the flow to the level that doesn't bother the betta : D.

Also i still have ALOT more HC, getting lazy so i'm planting it bit by bit.

Also i have more ambulia and rotala to add as soon as i get off my lazy but.

Also a few narrow leaved java ferns, waitinf for me to get some rocks to be attached to inbetween each of the stem plant bushes =).

Compliments to werner for all the beautiful plants, also i just found hte pellia yyou gave me, i added a small bit, and gave the rest to carpet my friends 5gal, as he won't be using excel.