Cyprichromis Utinta

punman

A Utinta female was discovered holding eggs yesterday so I snapped a picture. She is pretty small herself compared to the males. When I put the picture on the computer screen I was surprised to see eggs right through her so I am posting the picture below. Since she is with feather fins as well, I don't want to lose fry and would like to remove her when the fry are viable. Would that be at maybe 18 days? I hear they are notorious for spitting in the net so don't want to do it too soon.

I have had other mouth brooders (frontosas, mbuna, etc.) but never Cyps until now.

holdingday2ep9.jpg

amazing picture.. yeah i find that u see the eggs really well in them...

They are horrible at spitting..

I would leave her in the tank.. until she is ready to spit..

U will be able to see when shes ready to spit .. because she is soo see through..

I would say about 15 days..

Congrats.. I find most of mine dont hold full term until they have tried a few times..

Good luck..

should have about 5-8 babies or so.. i would say

• 2 weeks later...

Well, today was the day. I caught the holding female from the 180 gallon tank without too much trouble. She didn't spit in the tank and didn't spit in the net. I put her in an ice cream bucket and she didn't spit in there either.

I took the edge of a toothpick, opened her mouth and stripped out three fry. I left her alone for 10 minutes and she spit two more. She and the fry are in a 20 gallon tank. I took a couple of pictures of the fry. They are shown below. I plan on leaving mom with the fry for a couple of weeks so she can get her strength back. I hear that cyps don't bother their fry.

1hfrybtd2.jpg

1hfrydq4.jpg

Edited by punman

• 1 month later...

Update on my Cyp fry. One of the five was swimming funny at release and died a week later. The other four, at a month of age are doing fine and starting to show some color. They were clear at birth; now they are tan. One of the fry is pictured below. Three-quarters of an inch in length.

dsc5268au2.jpg

Edited by punman