Merry Christmas to Me

Albertan

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy cow is this fish growing. I went back and measured the ornament in the first set of pictures and came to the conclusion that this fish was 3" when I picked it up at Christmas. I just measured it this evening and its at 5" already! My experiment growing it out in the 21g may not last too long. Its temperment hasn't changed. It's still nasty as ever, which I think is in part to keeping it alone. I've seen it race lengthwise across the tank and smack into the glass with a dull thud a couple of times now...and not at anything in particular. Overall the fish seems content though. Just ornery as can be. Should make for an interesting adult. I may need to plan on some more tanks to get into this genus as well. :smokey:

It's still got the pointy face of a juvenile, but already its starting to pack on some mass and fill out.

247717668-M.jpg

Compare that photo to just a week ago.

245139471-M.jpg

That's all for now. Just playing with the camera.

• 3 weeks later...

Time keep marching on, and this fish keeps on growing at an alarming rate. It's now 6" long! That's 3" in two months. I feed it like the pig it is, and I do 50% water changes at least two but usually three times weekly. I figured I'd better take some pictures before claiming this kind of growth...

Compare these photos all beside the same ornament. Below is December 25, 2007.

236004605_iLDSc-M.jpg

January 17, 2008

245139502_7sy9h-M.jpg

February 17, 2008. Almost as big as the ornament.

255830150_ZfpnB-M.jpg

March 22, 2008. He's outgrown the ornament...

269239347_YQ7Di-M.jpg

October 11, 2008 I measured him out of water today...9.5"

391801561_fBciU-M.jpg

Edited by Albertan

He's looking fantastic Dean. It will be interesting to watch him mature, and morph in color. It's starting to look like some white is going to surface in his body.

Yeah it's hard to say for sure at this point. I'm hoping it retains the coloration on its fins, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. I just like to post the pictures of it from time to time since its the only way I can truly appreciate its growth seeing the fish daily. I like the pics you sent me of your fish BTW. Looks like we've got a couple of bruisers on our hands. :smokey:

Hi Mo,

Not to nit pic, but I was just curious as to why you referred to Dean's fish as citrinellum, and not labiatus?

To my eyes (which admittedly are old & failing) it has the classic head & mouth shape of an A. labiatus.

While I understand that with these two species one may never be 100% certain as to the exact genetic make up (short of the fish being collected in the wild, in a body of water where the two species don't co-exist),

at this point this fish seems to definitely have more physical characteristics of a labiatus, than a citrinellus.

• 1 month later...

Whelp been busy getting ready to move in the next couple of months, so I haven't had much time to post. I took a picture of Captain Insaino last night before he started freaking out when I got close to his tank. He's still growing like a weed. I should really move him out of the 21g, but I don't want to buy/set up any more tanks until I move. I guess he'll have to get by on lots of water changes for now. Doesn't seem to be hurting him. I think the small tank is making him ultra-territiorial though. I updated the timeline pictures in the post above to include this most recent photo. Cheers.

269239347_YQ7Di-M.jpg

Whelp been busy getting ready to move in the next couple of months, so I haven't had much time to post. I took a picture of Captain Insaino last night before he started freaking out when I got close to his tank. He's still growing like a weed. I should really move him out of the 21g, but I don't want to buy/set up any more tanks until I move. I guess he'll have to get by on lots of water changes for now. Doesn't seem to be hurting him. I think the small tank is making him ultra-territiorial though. I updated the timeline pictures in the post above to include this most recent photo. Cheers.

269239347_YQ7Di-M.jpg

Thats a great looking fish.... do you have insurance on your fingers?

serously if you want to get rid of him... I will take him