New Red Deer enthusiast

hobbithall

Hello all,

I just love this forum - sooo much information!

I'm green as grass when it comes to fish but am learning. Just bought my first Betta a couple of weeks ago. Took me 3 days to get back to the store to upgrade from a 'betta bowl' to a 4 gallon tank with heater & filter. (My boss wasn't too happy to see the tank size increase so much, but he hasn't made me take 'Samuri' home yet!) Now I've got 'the bug'!

I've got a 10 gallon established tank at home with 2 medium goldfish. It'll do for now, but my goal is to turn the 10 gal into a tropical quarantine tank & get a big tank. Just how big will depend on cost & room (small house). Hopefully by the end of summer we can have something set up. :smokey:

In the meantime, I've promised my 2 kids that they can get a Betta each (it was bribery to convince them we couldn't handle lizards!). We don't have room for more than about a 2-3 gal each.

Any advice regarding where to find *cheap* smaller tanks, and any advice at all on Bettas (yes, I have done a bunch of internet research & have the basics down), especially where is a really good place to shop in Red Deer or Edmonton and where I can go to ask questions when I run into trouble. (When, not if - I know enough to know I don't know enough!) :blush:

Look forward to spending time on the forums and learning lots!

Welcome! There's a plethora of people here with information for you. I've never been disappointed when I've posted my questions. Sounds like you've got a good start, and admitting you need help is 9/10 of the battle, IMHO... I admit it all the time! LOL

I hope you find yourself at home here!

:welcome:

This forum is chock full of really helpful soles...but beware...I had 125 gallons on the go in total when I joined this forum a very short while ago...just passing 340 gal with purchase today...lol....with the advice and leads on fair deals that this group provides you may soon need a bigger house! lol :smokey:

Welcome to the forum, I see you have caught the mts virus.

Hello all,

Any advice regarding where to find *cheap* smaller tanks, and any advice at all on Bettas (yes, I have done a bunch of internet research & have the basics down), especially where is a really good place to shop in Red Deer or Edmonton and where I can go to ask questions when I run into trouble. (When, not if - I know enough to know I don't know enough!) :blush:

Look forward to spending time on the forums and learning lots!

Hello and :welcome:

Everyone of us was a green as grass beginner at one point, the only stupid question is the question not asked IMO...

-roll- It's ANOTHER betta that has trapped another young sole into the hobby... !! (grins as these are my speciality) I love betta's....

There are alot of betta help in here with knowledgable people to ask for information, On all sorts of topics from fish illness's to plants to photography and breeding...

Just ask away...

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! :)

I'm looking forward to the learning curve ahead - what fun!

A few questions....

Where is the most economical place to look for tank ornaments? Garage sales aren't easy for us as we live a long way out of town (over an hour's commute each day). Is there a good store in Red Deer or Edmonton that sells ornaments and accessories particularly reasonably?

When we are ready to stock our tank, what is the best source of fish? Are there local breeders willing to sell pets at prices competitive with the chain stores?

Oh, and what live plants are suitable for Bettas? Obviously something soft (we've already been through lacerated fins from the plastic plant sold in the 'Betta kit')?

I know someone with a Betta who has a sprig of some kind of bamboo (African, maybe?) that she swears keeps algae growth down. With regular w/c does this matter?

Gee, this is going to be fun!

Everything on forums is cheaper than at stores (unless you're going for very specialty fish that aren't sold in stores). Keep an eye on the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. You may be able to get some goodies w/o any cash outlay if you have something good to trade.

Oh, and what live plants are suitable for Bettas? Obviously something soft (we've already been through lacerated fins from the plastic plant sold in the 'Betta kit')?

Gee, this is going to be fun!

With Betta's they love plants period... But, the bamboo is good for vase's etc... Not for tanks, For tanks you can get Java Moss/Java ferns/almost anything betta's will love it...

You can request someone locally that might have some trimmings to trade and or sell/ some would just give it away then throw it out.

What I do, is have a 2.5 gal tank, for one betta! Put in a cleaned rock (found locally in a ditch), added java moss and a few sprigs of other types of plants (unknown just grow in a batch of moss I had) I will recommend this, PEAT MOSS (found locally in any garden centre) make sure its not full of chemicals... put in nylon tied ends.. let it drop into the tank... trust me your betta will thank you for it.

They live in leaf littered rivers/streams/ponds/puddles..

Most live plants are soft, yes plastic plants aren't the best for any type of fish... for the very reasons you stated above...

I hope this helps :thumbs: