Clownfish Questions

NatureNut

I think I'm ready to CONSIDER adding some things to my tank. When I was picking something up from someone's house one day, I saw they had clownfish hosting in their frogspawn. Has anyone else experienced this? Frogspawn is MUCH easier to keep than anemones, so I thought that might be a nice option for us.

I'm also curious if anyone here knows of local sources for aquacultured SW critters... thinking of a clownfish, inverts, easy care corals and the likes. Calgary is my usual stomping grounds, but I'll be in Edmonton next weekend, so that's a possibility as well. Willing to mail order too.

Just tire kicking and looking for ideas right now, so that's why I didn't post this in the actual buy/sell forum. :)

I have two perculas that spend their evenings nestled down in large pieces of green star polps. I have a fairly large frogspawn but they prefer the GSP. I picked up two wild caughts in Edmonton in November - they have been very easy to care for and have put on some size in 3 months.

My ocellaris wont host in anything!!! GSP, frogspawn xenia....nothing. Golds HAD some aquacultured ocellaris in last w/e. Might wanna phone just to make sure they still have some. As far as corals go, lots of people here in Calgary (myself included) frag their corals and make them avialable to fellow reef junkies. My suggestion would be to check out canreef.com most of western Canada's reefers are on that site.Welcome to the dark side.

Thanks for the tips, everyone! Keep 'em coming! I'm enjoying the dark side for sure... I just want to go sllllooooowww with making changes to the tank so that I don't end up messing something up TOO royally. I was figuring to add a few more non fish items before I get another fish. I THINK that's the right way to go about it.

It's a 20g setup, a few corals and other unidentified goodies, some snails (I suspect could use more of those), 2 big blue legged hermit crabs, 2 smaller of the same, I THINK there's 3 peppermint shrimp, but it might be 2, a bazillion brittle stars with assorted leg counts, a yellow tailed dasmel and a royal gramma. I had some identifications done for me early on of the corals, but I should probably get better pics of what I can't id. Recently some bright yellow blob showed up... we have no idea what it is or where it came from. LOL

The tank was more or less exactly like this (without the shrimp and big hermits, which I bought awhile back) for 4 years, with 2 owners. Those fish have staying power. The owner 2 back once left it for 3 months without a water change!

One other thing I want to get is a better skimmer... I have a rio nano on it as well as an AC, but the rio is a pain in the butt, as far as I'm concerned.

ANYHOW, I'll take this over to CanReef as well... I've snooped through there, but haven't spent as much time as here.

Mine seem to like to host a rock...just an ordinary coralline covered rock, lol. They ignore my hammer, frogspawn, gbta, xenia, and toadstool, though one occasionally buries himself in the gsp. :rolleyes:

In my personal opinion the rio nano skimmer is a piece of crap. You would be better off with a deltec if you have the bucks, or maybe a remora, or barring that a coralife (least it actually pulls out skimmate which is more than I can say for the rio...my rio anyway)

Heyyyy where are the pics of this salty setup! We want pics! okay..I want pics :blush:

Oh if you can get away with rigging up a sump it will make things a whole lot easier if you have to buy bigger equipment. Some skimmers can take up quite a bit of needed room in a little 20.

Don't waste your money on a skimmer for a 20 it is not needed 4-5 gal water change every couple weeks is more than enough

I ran heavy stocked 20 for about a year and half with no skimmer and no filter just a cheap powersweep powerhead probably one of the cleanest tanks I had :thumbs:

I'll be doing a water change in the next couple of days and I'll test the new camera on tank pics. ;)

I agree about the rio nano being crap... I can get it to skim sometimes for weeks at a time. Nice dark skimmate coming out... then all of a sudden it will quit completely, or won't skim AND pump at the same time. I would love to see instructions for one of these things... apparently they don't come with any. Ugh. If I can find a decent small skimmer and little or no cost, I will run one, just for the extra protection, but for now it's double filtered, basically. I do end up with some algae in it toward 2 weeks if I don't get to a change quicker than that, but basically the tank is doing fine. There is a powerhead in it as well.

A sump would be lovely and all, but I really don't have a ton of time/money to put into altering this tank in a big way. I hope I don't mess it up too much adding things, but the tank has run like this for over 4 years. Don't tell my husband, but the next BIG structural 'improvement' will be for it to double or triple (or quadruple) in size... that won't be for awhile yet, though. $$$

I have to agree with murminator. A little tank should be able to run nicely with water changes. That being said I still wish I had one on my nano. I guess it just makes me feel better seeing a skimmer pulling crap out of the water. My BC14 had no skimmer and I did a 5 gal water change per week. (I had three fish in there plus coral.) If I went two weeks I was "pushing it", at least I think I was when I looked at the difference in the corals if I did 2 weeks versus 1 week. It all depends on your bioload I guess.

If you plan on upgrading anyway, save your money for the things your bigger tank will need. I just wanted to suggest some skimmers etc. in the case that you were staying at 20g.

On the other hand, if you really wanted a skimmer on it that actually did something you could buy a tiny counter current one (I think Riverfront sometimes has these?) or even make a little one. Try googling "diy nano skimmer" I could swear I saw a post on reef central or canreef that had one.

• 4 weeks later...

My Occelaris Clowns ignored my Leather Anenome and my large Frog Spawn for 4 months until I added a Foxface then suddenly the Wild caught Clown taught the Captive bred Clown to use the anenome now it's their home it looks awesome. I agree that Clowns will host in many diffrent Things, Anenome's are a bit trickier but I think they are great. I have a question My Frogspawn is super huge can I frag it somehow without killing it????