How do you sex ropefish?

I now have 5 wonderful ropefish and was just wondering if there is a definitive way to sex them.

At least one of them seems to have an anal fin that is shaped differently from the others. I researched it on the 'net' but there was no clear answer. Any help would be appreciated.

As well, does anyone know if they have been bred in aquariums yet?

Thanks.

I now have 5 wonderful ropefish and was just wondering if there is a definitive way to sex them.

At least one of them seems to have an anal fin that is shaped differently from the others. I researched it on the 'net' but there was no clear answer. Any help would be appreciated.

As well, does anyone know if they have been bred in aquariums yet?

Thanks.

Don't know if they've been bred in capitivity bu may have a guess as to how to sex. I found n article on how to sex bichirs and as ropefish as a very close relative of bichirs, I assume that sexing them the same way will work. The article is here. About half way down the page. Under care and maintenance. According to the article males have a wider and thicker anal fin.

Hope this helps. The person I would recommend asking is Tortis. He's an oddball speciallist.

Don't know if they've been bred in capitivity bu may have a guess as to how to sex. I found n article on how to sex bichirs and as ropefish as a very close relative of bichirs, I assume that sexing them the same way will work. The article is here. About half way down the page. Under care and maintenance. According to the article males have a wider and thicker anal fin.

Hope this helps. The person I would recommend asking is Tortis. He's an oddball speciallist.

Thanks for the help. I hope Toirtis sees this because, you are right, his input would be appreciated.

Those are my old fish so i wish to answer 2 answers. You have to count the rays on the back. 9 is a female and 10-14 is a male. You can also tell by the anal fin. The anal fin of the male is larger and thicker than the female. But the female tends to be a little larger. Hope this helps as well.

One of the best ways to tell females of most fish, when they're mature, is the female is generally more round-bodied... especially when she's gravid. Aaron and Dalray also gave good points.

• 3 weeks later...
Those are my old fish so i wish to answer 2 answers. You have to count the rays on the back. 9 is a female and 10-14 is a male. You can also tell by the anal fin. The anal fin of the male is larger and thicker than the female. But the female tends to be a little larger. Hope this helps as well.

Correct...and as an addition, they have not been spawned in captivity, except possibly artificially, using hormone injections.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 2 rope fish and will link the website i have found the most useful for info on them. They have not been bread in captivity as far as i have found out and they are a nocturnal fish that hunts. mine however will come out in the daytime if they are hungry or want to bug my parrot cichlid in the same tank. they do have a primitive set of lungs so will come up to the tank top for air once in a while. unless they have a cave or something to hide in they will get out of your tank and hunt for one and with their primitive lungs they can survive out of the water for 2-3 hours so escape your tanks if you have these guys. full grown they can get large. I got mine at 3-4 inches long and they are now 15 inches long 4 months later.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_reed.php