My Red Peacock Croaked

Dominic

Sadly I came home yesterday to find my large Red Peacock Floating upside down, I took my tongs to flip him over then he had a burst of speed and twitched quite a bit then went back to being upside down. After a few minutes of trying to revive him I decided to put him out of his misery and in the freezer with water he went. Now question is, what did he die from, No damage to fins, No ich,No bloating of Stomach, No body wounds. is it possible he died from old age or natural causes?

Is it possible he had a stroke? Can fish have Strokes? What was the twitching I noticed late in the game? Wish I had been there to witness what happened.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these things? What's the average lifespan of Peacocks? Surely it must be more than a couple of years!

Thanks.

Note: My Water Quality is excellent so for those who are wondering!

Edited by Dominic

Don't know a whole lot on the subject other than personal experience. I have had this sort of thing happen more than once in the years I have had my tank, always with peacocks. I have no idea why though because sometimes it will happen to one of the more dominant fish not just the weak ones. I hope someone here can shed some light on this!

I've had a few mystery deaths in my african tank. I"ll check on the tank and everyone will be fine and then a few hours later find a dead fish with the tank parameters all testing normal. The only time I have figured a death out was when I saw my peacock get startled and crash right into the glass hood. Must have bonked his head hard as he was dead within the hour.

The burst of swimming and twitching sounds normal. I've had lots of fish that I thought were dead only to come back to life and flop/twitch around after touching them.

• 2 weeks later...

If they swim around like they are drunk it could be a damaged swim bladder. If all of the fish of one species or 1 fish dart here and there and smash the glass it is likely due to a toxin in the water . Ask yourself if you've used any medication, sprayed air fresheners (most of the stuff they use to make these is not only toxic to fish but humans as well), glass cleaners or other possible contaminates. Often one fish is more sensitive to these than others.Several small water changes and carbon in the filter can help.

Well I never spray anything near the tank and never use anything but water on the glass. I always run carbon and do 20% changes per week. I suspect that either he smacked his head real hard on something or he maybe had a stoke or heartattack or something of that kind. It may also be line breeding that weakens the Fish to certain things.

Edited by Dominic