Open Brain Question?

How do I get my Red Open Brain's Sweeper tentacles to come out? It pufffs up when the lights go out at night but I have only once in 3 months seen the tentacles to feed some mysis. Is my brain likely to die if I don't feed soon? It seems to be growing in size but it seems to never eat! Is it filter feeding? Is it feeding at night when I sleep? I dose with reef Roids twice a week in my tank. No water chemistry issues Alk & Calcium as well as PH all good.

Any thoughts anyone I don't want my brain to die one day!

A lot of corals have symbiotic algae growing within their tissues that provide some food when the lights are on. However, I can't really answer your question. YOu may have better luck posting on CanReef or searching ReefCentral

I rarely see the sweepers on either of mine. As far as feeding goes, I turn off the pumps and use a syringe and airline to set a couple mysis near the mouth. They eat it up and are fine. I've been feeding this way since November and the animals are growing. Try a post on Canreef I'm sure you will get opinions from people far more experienced than me.

HTH

I have zero experience with saltwater and am sympathetic about your concern for your critter, but I feel the need to point out that out of context,

Is my brain likely to die if I don't feed soon? It seems to be growing in size but it seems to never eat! (...) Is it feeding at night when I sleep? (...) Any thoughts anyone I don't want my brain to die one day!

sounds like it would make a good B-Movie.

Well putting Shrimp or food in the brain after pumps are turned off sounds good but my fish always get to it long before my brain could ever grab it. mmmm I guess I'll keep trying.

I usually stuff the fish and shrimp up first then feed the corals. My brains eat amazingly fast when they are hungry. You could also try putting a container over the brain right after the shrimp are placed on the coral.

HTH

Edited by bosshog

Finally this morning before Light went on when it was kinda puffy I put a couple of mysis shrimps in the Brain, Watched it for about 5minutes it finally started to close up on it, then the sweepers came out Sweet.

I think I got it now, feeding fish first is not an option cause they won't eat at night in dark and Brain won't eat during day.

Thanks for all the input

I'm wondering if my open brain is normal now. LOL I've never fed it anything solid. I put in liquid invert food 2x a week or so. My open brain has its tentacles out a LOT. It's usually puffed up with water during the day and tentacles out almost all the time. Then at night it sometimes stays out as well. Maybe they're as individualistic as we are? hehehe

I used to feed mine when I 1st got it a few years ago haven't fed him directly in about a year and half he will grab what he wants out of the water I feed the the tank water changes and reef bug about once a month. The sweepers have never came out on mine either

• 5 weeks later...
Finally this morning before Light went on when it was kinda puffy I put a couple of mysis shrimps in the Brain, Watched it for about 5minutes it finally started to close up on it, then the sweepers came out Sweet.

I think I got it now, feeding fish first is not an option cause they won't eat at night in dark and Brain won't eat during day.

Thanks for all the input

Sounds cool, i think i will look for a vid on youtube.

• 2 weeks later...

We do not feed our open brain anything, either. However it is over a year old and growing so it must just be pulling what it needs out of the water. I do add reef roids when I remember but do not find that they make much difference either way.