Red jewel cichlids breeding

firestorm

It's hard to judge by the angle of that pic, But my guess would be that is daddy. The tip of the dorsal fin on the female will be more rounded and the females are more colorful than males when breeding.

I was at Golds today and they said that also that the females are more colorfull when mating??? I didnt know about the top fin though..I will check mine again!!! LOL... Maybe I have 2 females instead of males!!! Thanks

FRONTSROCK

Yeah I am not 100% sure, but they both were very deep red when they were laying eggs, and it was hard to tell which one was which. But I honestly think that one is the female because it was the one that looked fat before they did the egg laying, and it looked as though it was the one laying the eggs.

• 14 years later...

Can I say, this story is awesome. I got my first red jewel in an online order of "feeder fish" noticed he was different so pulled him out. He got big enough for me to realize what he was and I put him in with my other cichlids. Got him a "friend". And within a week they had laid eggs. It was such a fluke but such a beautiful one. I have now moved them to their own 3ft tank and their colours are blooming. It's the waiting game now as the first lot they quickly ate due to the amounts of BN and other cichlids trying to eat them. 

Lol…you are replying to a 14 yr old topic. That person hasn’t even been on for 6 yrs. You are talking to nobody but yourself. Best to go to Facebook or monsterfishkeepers if you want to discuss with people other then talking to yourself. Most members moved and a majority aren’t even in the hobby anymore.