Flourish Excel

Vallisneria

It's because of the biocidal properties of the ingredient polycycloglutaracetal. This is a polymerized isomer of glutaraldehyde which is used as a tissue fixative in electron microscopy, as embalming fluid, and is a component of leather tanning solutions. And I know all of that because I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Apparently some of the simpler plants and algae are susceptible to cell damage at certain concentrations.

• 1 month later...
I did a dip with some of my amazon swords, because they had bad algae growing on them. It ended up killing a few of them. But they seem to do ok with a dose every once in a while in the tank.

How concentrated a dip are we talking about? I've never seen swords melt from Excel before and I used to double dose it quite frequently.

It was 1 part excel to 10 parts water, they didn't quite melt away, but after a few days the leaves turned brown or clear and the plant was basically dead.

that's a pretty concentrated mixture! how long did you leave the plants in the dip for? i have used the dip method to get rid of some BBA on my windelov java fern with one part excel to maybe 100 parts water (one cap full to about 2 cups of water) and left the plant in that mix for about 15 minutes. Algae died, turned pink, and was all but gone within 48 hours.... Excel is great for keep algae levels down - just don't over do it.... I've lost vals and nymphaea because of overdosing excel directly into the tank....

We read on some website that is the ratio to mix it at. I didn't know, and it was also to get rid of BBA. We left them in for about 3 minutes. Thanks for the words of wisdom. I would never have known that site was totally wrong. I will do that in the future if need be.

• 5 months later...
My water currently has a greenish color. I'm doing water changes and hoping this will get rid of it. Would excel help get rid of it?

That would be an interesting experiment. I haven't heard of anyone using Excel to treat green water, but it might work.

Or you could use a more standard treatment like blacking out the tank. More info on green water here: Aquarium Algae

If you do give the Excel a try, let us know if it works!

• 6 months later...

Daphna is a good biological way to remove green water

UV's are the best way to get rid of algaes in the aquarium, especially green dust algae and green water. I would have never thought of using excel to get rid of green water either.

• 8 months later...