DIY Paludarium

snaggle

I am starting to make a paludarium for a guy’s water dragons. It will be 72"x24"x24", I am doing a wood/glass design with a full glass water area around 6" deep. I am thinking of using 3/4" pine panels or 3/4" ply-wood. I am trying to decide out what I should use to finish the wood, I am thinking either using plexiglass/acrylic or marine grade paint to finish the inside of the tank. If I go with the pine boards I think it would be nice if I could use a clear stain of some kind, I am just not sure if there are any that are reptile safe and that will hold up to the humidity that is needed for water dragons (Any Ideas?). What would be my most cost effective method to finish this paludarium?

I will post pictures when I am done building it, this will be the largest project that I have worked on, so I look forward to having it done.

• 7 years later...

I have actually used linoleum. if you can find some that looks good as a background it works great. you just glue it to the wood, back, sides and bottom and use silicone to seal it all up. Its super easy to clean and most places will sell end of the roll pieces for cheap. if you're lucky they'll have the right pattern in the cheap stuff.