How Do I Move Salt Set-Up?

Doc_Polit

I am looking into buying a very small saltwater set-up from another member.

I do not know :cuss: about what is required to move a salty tank.

Can somebody please tell me the best process? The tank is running successfully now and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thx. :hey:

Put the fish in containers or bags. Bag the coral seperatley so that it can't get banged around or broken. Put the rock in a pail of tank water. If there is sand in the tank I'd toss all but a cup or two and buy new stuff. Have water mixed up at your place ready to fill the tank. Make the move as fast as possible, several hours isn't a problem but taking a day or two may create trouble. Don't fret the move it's really not that big a deal.

You may get a small nitrate spike after the move. A bit of die off on the rock will always happen. The die off shouldn't be anything major though. The spike probably won't be bad enough to harm the tanks inhabitants. Keep your eye on the water parameters for a week or two and keep some emergency water change water mixed up, just in case.

Good luck with the move.

HTH

Brad

I am looking into buying a very small saltwater set-up from another member.

I do not know :cuss: about what is required to move a salty tank.

Can somebody please tell me the best process? The tank is running successfully now and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thx. :hey:

Brad,

the best is to take out corals/ fish place in seperate buckets.

drain water and keep.--- keeep sand if there is any in tank. do not take sand out.

take home put a plate in tank if there room- slowly fill back up. check water temp- put corals back in then the fish. might be a bit cloudy. you may want to run some filter floss temp to clear it up1

I MOVED A 65G TANK THIS WAY.

I can vouch for finaddict's method. I bought her 28 gallon saltwater aquarium a couple of years ago and when we got there she already had everything packed and ready to move. I did not experience any spikes or die off at all, though there was not a lot of live rock.

I moved a 20g about a year ago and put everything in buckets of the tank water for transport. I was just careful how I positioned rock/corals etc. We actually left a small amount of water in the tank and left the fish in the tank for transport. We put the tank in a rubbermaid bin so for ease of carrying (Big sturdy bottomed thing). Everything went fine. Only known casualty was an interesting gelatinous blob of who knows what.

In the same move we also changed to a new tank and unfortunately did this before I saw a post from someone saying NOT to move the old live sand over... we had a sludgy silt festival in that tank for quite awhile. Doing that again I think I'd set the new one up first with new substrate (and cycle it) before the move, if possible. I didn't have a lot of options because the move had to be done fast.

Good luck with your move!

I also bought a full set up last year. I bought along all of my buckets and put the live rock in them along with enough water to cover them all. I left the sand in the tank. A lot of the rock had zoos on them. Managed to get them all moved and in and I didn't have too much die off.

I moved a 230 Gallon Salt setup all in one day. Took 14 hours but we did it and no casualties I might add. Get some large rubbermaids for Live rock and Fish and Corals. Catch them all after about draining half the water and filling rubbermaids about 3/4 full. Put fish in one with some rock,Coral in another depending on how many you have might need more than one. Throw a heater and airstone in each bucket with livestock or corals and concentrate on draining rest of water. I agree with others we kept all sand in buckets, dust pan works good at getting out sand we also left some water in buckets with Sand so it didn't dry out. Keep your live rock wet with water from old tank. Salt buckets work great cause they can seal properly. Disconnect everything move it and set it up. If you can keep all the water great but doing a 25-30% change at the same time as moving is ok.

Everyone has there own techniques I guess.

cheers