Ferts not in balance.

Joseph Elliott

When I first upgraded my lights and changed my substrate my plants were doing awesome and the algae basically dissappeared. Now my plants aren't doing so great and the algae has come back with a vengence. It seems that almost every kind of algae has taken up residence - I've got brown diatoms, green spot, hair, black brush, some sort of flourescent green stuff on the sides. I'm getting a little frustrated.

I'm dosing Tropica Nutrition liquid and Kent potassium. I also have seachem root tabs under the heavy feeders. The tiger lotus has been sucking up transferable nutrients from the older leaves leaving me with old yellow leaves that have green veins and new leaves that look perfect.

The rest of the plants aren't showing me any signs of deficiencies but the algae I've started to farm is ticking me off. CO2 is at about 30ppm, ferts are dosed twice a week (tried 3 times a week but it made the problem worse). Maybe I should cut back to once a week? If I had to guess I'd say maybe a lack of nitrogen or magnesium? I don't have easy access to ferts but am willing to order some in.

I'm no expert but i've heard that yellow veins and green leaves means an iron deficiency. maybe check that out and then reduce the amount you dose and spread it out over the week because then the plants can absorb it insted of haveing spikes of excess when you do dose the tank..

Hope this helps

Lisa

When I first upgraded my lights and changed my substrate my plants were doing awesome and the algae basically dissappeared. Now my plants aren't doing so great and the algae has come back with a vengence. It seems that almost every kind of algae has taken up residence - I've got brown diatoms, green spot, hair, black brush, some sort of flourescent green stuff on the sides. I'm getting a little frustrated.

I'm dosing Tropica Nutrition liquid and Kent potassium. I also have seachem root tabs under the heavy feeders. The tiger lotus has been sucking up transferable nutrients from the older leaves leaving me with old yellow leaves that have green veins and new leaves that look perfect.

The rest of the plants aren't showing me any signs of deficiencies but the algae I've started to farm is ticking me off. CO2 is at about 30ppm, ferts are dosed twice a week (tried 3 times a week but it made the problem worse). Maybe I should cut back to once a week? If I had to guess I'd say maybe a lack of nitrogen or magnesium? I don't have easy access to ferts but am willing to order some in.

Sounds just like how my 45 gallon started... great growth off the start... few months later a bit of algae and the plants quit growing as fast. I was dosing the full line of seachem products at recommend rates for my tank... I found I need to get more CO2 into the water (I thought I had 30ppm) and more nutrients were needed.

After adding more CO2 and switching to dry ferts, the plants started growing and I went from cleaning the glass weekly to letting it go for months without algae. I dose seachem excel (2x overdose), iron, and Seachem Flourish with the dry ferts supplying the N, P, and K.

Your plants will grow when ALL of the required nutrients are available... If you are short on any 1 of the nutrients (micro-macro), then the plant will stop growing and the algae will start to use the nutreints...

Dry ferts are available at some of the hydroponics shops (Edmonton-All seasons garden center). Look into EI dosing for dry ferts for amounts.

:)

I have found it much easier to feed my plants since I started using the Estimative Index. The plants are fed ALL of what they need (as long as CO2 levels are OK), and algae growth is minimal. The problem with EI is that it overdoses all nutrients, which is VERY expensive using the commercial fertilizers. That's why most of us using EI dose with dry ferts.

Now, when I start to notice an algae problem, I look at CO2 first b/c the nutrients should be OK; however, if CO2 is good (I check by just adding a bit more. That usually does it. If algae persists, I look at nutrients), then I add some extra nutrient, depending on what algae is growing:

Spot Algae usually means P deficiency

BBA and BGA usually mean N deficiency

Hair algae is almost always CO2 deficiency

I have just started a 5 gallon High Light tank for the first time, with plans to also work on my 20 as I get the hang of it. Up to now I have had low light and lots of low light plants and fish, so I am very pleased to see these comments.

When you use the dry ferts, do you mix up a container of the basic mix and use from that? Or do you always dole the chemicals out individually?

There's a dosing list in the pinned topics - the articles thread. I just dump the dry ferts right in the tank - either at the intake or output of the filter or powerhead.

When you use the dry ferts, do you mix up a container of the basic mix and use from that? Or do you always dole the chemicals out individually?

I mix 1 teaspoon into a 250? ml juice container (old V-8 juice bottle) with water and then if I want 1/2 teaspoon, I just dump 1/2 of the bottle in. I have 3 bottles with N, P, and K (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4).

Thanks Byte, that helps. I was trying to imagine measuring out 1/64 tsp K2SO4 etc. for a 5 gal tank.

I mix 1 teaspoon into a 250? ml juice container (old V-8 juice bottle) with water and then if I want 1/2 teaspoon, I just dump 1/2 of the bottle in. I have 3 bottles with N, P, and K (KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4).
Edited by gobies et al

You can also try the Fertilator at APC.

It can calculate all manner of stuff like concentration from chemicals added, percent solution of nutrient in water, amount of target chemical from given concentration. It also has a listing of chemical formulas vs. common names, and a chart for conversion of Tbsp/tsp/dash/pinch/smidgen/gram so you can measure more accurately.

It includes several different sources of a nutrient in case you're using a store bought plant fertilizer or something like fleet enema instead of KH2PO4.

All of the resources that have been posted in this thread (where to buy/order dry ferts, the calculators, etc) are excellent. It would be a shame to lose the thread to the depths of the forum. Could we please sticky this, or have a sticky created with the resources listed in them?