Should I treat WC fish for parasites?

bottomdweller_fan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used clout mixed with the food in cases were some fish did not eat and some did, to prevent it from spreading. I have also had a couple of cases where the fish would spit most of the food but still ate his favourite food. For example I had a fish that promptly would spit everything out except for krill. I soaked the krill with clout and garlic guard (the fish does not like the clout flavor). This particular fish was in very bad condition but recovered after about a week of treatment. I have also had a group of Cyprichromis leptosoma that contracted a condition that is commonly referred to as "wasting". Not all fish would spit so the treatment worked on the ones still eating. Unfortuntely I did not start this treatment until the end so I lost most of the fish.

I have noticed that when I dose my 20gallon hospital tank with clout most of the fish I have treated looked stressed immediately after, and a few hours into the treatment. I appears to me that different species, and different size fish, do not all react the same way. Also, I am sure that the water chemistry play a role here as well.

Since you mentioned wasting---I think it would be a good idea in the near future to have a discussion about it on this forum I know it has been discussed on other forums but I think there are better brains here---