Project: 350 gallon plywood tank

bottomdweller_fan

............... here is the more!!

In order to make sure that the silicone would not pull away from the pond liner or the acrylic, I sandwiched it between the acrylic, plywood, pond liner, and 1x2 lumber.

Tankdesign.jpg

I then did a second layer of silicone on top of the one that was sandwiched in order to have a nice finish.

Tank18.jpg

Tank19.jpg

I filled the tank partway to see if there were any leaks. There was a very small one so I emptied the tank, found the leak, fixed it and, after letting the silicone dry, started filling again. This time there were no leaks so I filled the tank and let it sit for about 4 hours. There were still no leaks so I emptied the tank and added the deck planks to the top as braces.

Tank12.jpg

Tank13.jpg

I added a layer of fluorite and then a layer of sand (SIL3). Then I decorated and then… added the fish that had been in the 108 gallon tank. The tank has been up and running for over a week now and everything is going well. It is taking awhile to fully fill as my holding container only holds 50 gallons at a time, but it is nearly there.

Tank20.jpg

Tank21.jpg

Tank22.jpg

I hope you enjoy these posts as much as I enjoyed building the tank!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! That is very nice. You sure made it sound easy to build. How many hours you figure you put into that and was it as easy as it sounds?

Nice setup.

Thanks. Actually, it was easier than I thought it would be. The most time was spent researching and asking questions (I'm a real woodworking noob :)).

As well, waiting for the silicone, varnish, and wood glue to fully cure took the most time. In total, I would say I spent a total of maybe 24 hours over the space of a couple of weeks.

Edited by bottomdweller_fan

Man, that tank makes me want a bigger house. I just LOVE the length of it.

Fantastic job, you must be very proud and excited.

Thanks. I am really proud of it (cause I did it all by myself - except for some help with lifting).

I am really excited, but I think the fish are even more so - they use every inch of the tank :w00t:

Edited by bottomdweller_fan

Man, that tank makes me want a bigger house. I just LOVE the length of it.

Fantastic job, you must be very proud and excited.

Thanks. I am really proud of it (cause I did it all by myself - except for some help with lifting).

I am really excited, but I think the fish are even more so - they use every inch of the tank :w00t:

Feels good doesn't it?