growing plants immersed

clockwork

found an excellent DIY article on growing your aquarium plants in an immersed set up prior to planting them in your tank.

the author says it is an excellent way to grow ready made carpets for your aquascaped tanks.

if anyone already does this or tries it out, post pictures of how it goes!

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2008/09/growin...ts-emersed.html

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting an experiment with this set-up. I currently have 3 tens with plants. Have about 5 of each plant, and will see how it grows.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm currently growing some Utricularia graminifolia in a newly set up 10G, it's been growing for less than two weeks so far, but growth is noticeable, and of course, no algae!

IMGP1479.jpg

IMGP1513.jpg

Most of the stuff from the lower terrace died out, but the plants in the upper section are doing quite well. The condensation drops were really wreaking havoc though, they would get very large before falling, and completely excavate the plants. I switched from a glass top to saran wrap yesterday, I'll let you know how it goes!

• 3 months later...

This is how I grow mine emersed for the plants with bigger roots. namely crypts and swords.

I used to grow foreground plant in terrestrial seeding trays with perlite and a DIY pre-mixed fertilizer formula.

Cyperus helferi growing emersed in a 3.5" pot with plain gravel This was taken over 3 years ago

The key thing to remember is the humidity. If you can get your plant adjusted to 70-80% humidity they can stand up straight. high humid environment tend cause the plant to grow horizontal.

Outdoor setup

post-4198-1245302079_thumb.jpg

post-4198-1245302087_thumb.jpg

post-4198-1245302143_thumb.jpg

post-4198-1245302184_thumb.jpg

Edited by EDGE

This is how I grow mine emersed for the plants with bigger roots. namely crypts and swords.

I used to grow foreground plant in terrestrial seeding trays with perlite and a DIY pre-mixed fertilizer formula.

Cyperus helferi growing emersed in a 3.5" pot with plain gravel This was taken over 3 years ago

The key thing to remember is the humidity. If you can get your plant adjusted to 70-80% humidity they can stand up straight. high humid environment tend cause the plant to grow horizontal.

Outdoor setup

interesting... I wonder how this would do with HC

Outdoor setup

interesting... I wonder how this would do with HC

Really well. I don't have any HC left to restart the culture. Use perlite or plain gravel in those seedling tray you can get from nurseries

The left tray in the photo is HC

fyi: immersed is underwater

emersed is out of water.

Edited by EDGE

• 1 year later...

I have a 2.5g tank which has been in the emersed state for about 5 months now. It is mostly Utricularia Graminifolia in there and it has filled in quite nicely. I also have a little bit of Hemianthus "cuba" and java moss in there as well as a pogostemon helferi which has barely survived. I highly recommend filling in carpets in the emersed state. The UG seems to take root much better. I had grown some in my main tank submerged and by the time it spread to a carpet it seemed to not root very well and almost just grow on top of the substrate.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...