5 Gallon Paludarium

devocole

Started making it at the beginning of September. 5 Gallon tank and canopy i bought for 20 bucks. DIY background using styrofoam and Quickrete. I have inline tubing plumbed in the bottom right corner connected to a mini DIY canister filter, the outake is the top left corner. I put in a small powerhead under the left ridge for flow. There is mineralized soil on the bottom later with fluorite on top. The piece of wood i found in the glorious edmonton river valley.

Plants:

Creeping Jenny species

Small Chain sword

Dwarf Hygrophilla

Java Moss

And the umbrella looking plant i forget.

Fish:

2 female endlers

1 male endler/snakeskin

DSC02985-1.jpg

DSC02968-1.jpg

DSC02986-1.jpg

DSC02969-1.jpg

DSC02978-1.jpg

post-3191-1224976940_thumb.jpg

Edited by devocole

I will add the rest later. Can someone tell me how to add better pictures.

Devon

I find the best way is to get an account at Photobucket and upload your photos to there. Under each photo will be 4 boxes, click in the Image Code box, and then paste into your post

the code you paste in should look like this, only with square brackets at start and the end...

(IMG]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/cowdog1/Fish%20Pics/NDVD_018e1.jpg[/img)

NDVD_018e1.jpg

Yep I agree with the others.... Nice job Devon /

If you put some shrimp in there you may need some filtration .... unless the plant material does the job... I am not sure maybe someone on here knows better..

How often do you need to change the water on a setup like that?

It is amazing how these small tanks can look so amazing with the right touch

Yep I agree with the others.... Nice job Devon /

If you put some shrimp in there you may need some filtration .... unless the plant material does the job... I am not sure maybe someone on here knows better..

How often do you need to change the water on a setup like that?

It is amazing how these small tanks can look so amazing with the right touch

Thanks everyone.

Jerry.

As for water changes, i'm not planning on doing them with this one. The other tanks I have running right now have DIY CO2 and EI ferts and 50% weekly WC. This is my attempt at a natural aquarium. I'm slightly cheating as i made a little canister filter: ( http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=20958 ), although it is more for water movement then anything.

I have had this tank up for 6 weeks now with only weekly top ups. Weekly test results have been Fe 0ppm, NH3 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm, Phosphate 0ppm, PH 8.2ish. For the first 2 weeks however the nitrates were around more then 100ppm as the soil was still settling itself out (no fish at that time :) though).

So all the parameters are okay my only concern is organic build up that i can't measure. I'm hoping that won't be a problem. Anyone have insight?

One other thing. I have alot of java moss and duck weed which will suck up additional nutrients. A large portion of the java is terrestrial with water flowing over it so it has the aerial advantage (as Walstad would say) and will grow extra fast. The ivy is also supposed to be a fast growing plant. So with all that thinking in mind its kind of an experiment for me. So far its working.

Regards

Devon

Edited by devocole

Thanks again. I am trying to make it look as natural as possible, the penny-wort is starting to branch out, once it starts moving around in there randomly it will look even more natural then the one big clump. The other thing that i think helps with the natural look is I put several pieces of java moss partly in the water and partly out. Allowing the upper portions to dry out and die, while the lower ones are green and healthy. The Moss on the background looks dead and dry but it may not be because it is damp, the water is climbing up it slightly. We'll see. My only regret right now is buying a used scratched tank instead of a new one.

It is 5.5 gallons. 16L*8W*10H

Devon

Edited by devocole