Wood Java

devocole

This new 5 gallon is 3 weeks old. It looks far better in person, its hard to show depth in the pictures with this one. It is essentially a drift wood background with java fern, java moss, anubias nana, and anubias nana petite tied into it. Growing in the very back is hygrophila. Also the glass of the tank is very scratched. Substrate is an inch of partially mineralized soil and black fluorite.

Hope you like it.

Also I have not been able to decide what kind of fish to put in. So far i'm thinking either a pigy rasbora species, or a nice killifish couple. Hit me with some ideas.

DSC03136.jpg

DSC03140.jpg

DSC03123.jpg

Edited by devocole

What do you have for filtration? If you have something to move the water throughout the tank, I would go with some tiny rasboras (Galaxy maybe?) and a small group of Corydoras hasbrosas. Actually, a pair of Killis for the top of the tank would be great. You could get away with minimal filtration if you always use aged water... maybe the water from your planted tank?

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

As for filtration it has an aquaclear mini. Its well concealed behind the "wood wall."

JVision, when you say aged aquarium water. Does that mean using water that has been left out for some time in a bucket etc, or from another tank? Could you fill me in on the details of that.

As for fish, i'm still a bit stuck. You guys seem to like both ideas. As for Killifish, i imagine they would get more use out of the aquascape as they would explore etc. In my experience Rasboras/Tetras just like to hang out in open water. But that was my original purpose for this tank, having the lush background with open space in the front for rasboras. As for Corys. I had pigmys once and they just hid all the time, not what i want for this one.

I figure next time i got to Natures or ALs, it will just come to me. I never have a problem spending money once if get there.

Devon

Edited by devocole

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

DSC03216.jpg

Since the first set up, i've added green shrimp, cherry shrimp, and 8 endlers. I now have many many little shrimps but the endlers haven't produced anything yet. I've had them for 2 months, mabe the babies aren't making it. Its filled in alot and need to trim once a month. My worst nemesis, staghorn likes to grow close to the lights. So I trim those leaves ever so often. Still wish i put it into a tank with no scratches.