Gnaw's 100g Tank Restoration & Stand Project

Gnaw

Alright guys and girls put on your hardhats and roll up your sleeves. This is the official thread for my 100 gallon tank project!

I don't know anything about used aquariums or restoring them, but I love to build/make things, and I have a world of resources at my fingertips and lots of help from some great people.

There is a common story amongst aquarists that is directly related to the number of tanks they own. Usually its something along the lines of: The fish are getting bigger, or I want more fish etc.. The result of such statements is another tank... a bigger tank!

The Beginning:

My beloved little friends have outgrown their home. I'm a student on my own who works seasonally, so funds are limited.

On Dec 30, 2008 I responded to an add featuring a used 100 gallon aquarium with lighting and stand for $200.00, so I wanted to check it out. The first buyer never bothered to show-up and I happened to be next in line. The elderly man who owned it was moving soon and was very worried that he wouldn't be able to remove it from his apartment, so he lowered his price to $150.00 (sneaky old man) having only twenty's and no-one around to break it, final price was $140.00.

Like a kid too eager for a new puppy I rushed in! I should have taken the time to really consider it. I would have noticed the large number of scratches, the awful amount of mineral and algae everywhere, the homemade stand and lighting, the base which sat within a rusty fame constructed of welded angle iron, the LARGE mouse-like hole in the front panel! Yep, what a great deal I thought to myself.

I found out as I was disassembling it that the owner had cut the hole in the front for his pet cat to sleep in. Of course I find this out until after I reached in and felt something like a pillow inside which I than grabbed and yanked out. Unfortunately the cat was sleeping in it and my hand suffered his wrath!

Eventually I got the whole thing, tank, lighting, stand (minus cat) back home in a single trip. This is going to be a big job!

DSC06057Small.jpg

Edited by Gnaw

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let the cleaning begin!

Alright settled with trying some white vinegar and a razor blade.

Here are the before pictures:

DSC06073Small.jpg

DSC06076Small.jpg

DSC06083Small.jpg

DSC06074Small.jpg

The Tools:

DSC06085Small.jpg

The Cleaning:

DSC06080Small.jpg

DSC06081Small.jpg

DSC06082Small.jpg

Edited by Gnaw

The white stuff should disappear when wet. You can replace the silicon if you want, but it's the stuff between the panes that hold it together. Many people would scrape it off and put a fresh bead around the tank - it'll certainly look a lot better!

The white stuff should disappear when wet. You can replace the silicon if you want, but it's the stuff between the panes that hold it together. Many people would scrape it off and put a fresh bead around the tank - it'll certainly look a lot better!

Is it easy to take off with just a razor blade? When I reapply it just use 100% silicon that is aquarium safe?

Is it easy to take off with just a razor blade? When I reapply it just use 100% silicon that is aquarium safe?

You're right on both accounts...

Just gotta make sure that when you re-apply it, you let it fully cure.

As for taking it off, I thought I bookmarked the page where it showed how to re-seal a tank, I think it may have even been on AA if you look around. But from what I understood, its cutting flush to the glass from the top/bottom (or side/side when doing the sides) but making sure you don't cut too deep.

You're right on both accounts...

Just gotta make sure that when you re-apply it, you let it fully cure.

As for taking it off, I thought I bookmarked the page where it showed how to re-seal a tank, I think it may have even been on AA if you look around. But from what I understood, its cutting flush to the glass from the top/bottom (or side/side when doing the sides) but making sure you don't cut too deep.

Thanks, I think this is it. I'm link here for reference.

Relining your tank

Good job Gnaw! That tank is UGLY, man I think alot of people would just say "it ain't worth the effort" and scrap that one. Good for you for taking the challenge. Lots of work there. I look forward to the progress.

Boom :boom:

I have a 20g that has that cloudy white stuff on it too. For the life of me I can't get it off, and it does not disappear when wet...

Thanks Boom.

I've been trying to source some Cerium Oxide or a kit with an included buffer wheel locally. I haven't been able to find either. Suggestions?

Thanks Boom.

I've been trying to source some Cerium Oxide or a kit with an included buffer wheel locally. I haven't been able to find either. Suggestions?

This is a link to a scratch removal site I found via another forum... It's got the same process you're looking to do to remove scratches. Might wanna try checking with glass shops?

scratch removal

Edited by thedarkstar

This is a link to a scratch removal site I found via another forum... It's got the same process you're looking to do to remove scratches. Might wanna try checking with glass shops?

scratch removal

Yes, I found that as well. I will preform a similar process, but I'm having a hard time tracking down a local suppler for a large amount of Cerium oxide.