Gnaw's 100g Tank Restoration & Stand Project

Gnaw

I think I'd just reseal it and use it as a sump for an even bigger tank. Good luck making that tank look good you have quite the challenge ahead of you.

Edited by RDFISHGUY

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a link to a scratch removal site I found via another forum... It's got the same process you're looking to do to remove scratches. Might wanna try checking with glass shops?

scratch removal

Yes, I found that as well. I will preform a similar process, but I'm having a hard time tracking down a local suppler for a large amount of Cerium oxide.

Like it says in that site, you may have to resort to online.

Gnaw, pending your luck removing the scratches, you could always replace just the front piece of glass with new, and paint the back and sides for a nice display tank. That silicone definitely needs to go.

As for the white cloudy stuff, I would use CLR. I know it's nasty chemical stuff not safe for fish, but just be sure to rinse the heck out of the glass. They recommend to use it in your coffee pot so how bad can it be?

Boom :boom:

I'd definitely agree with Boom here Nick. It will be such an effort to remove the scratches that it will be faster and probably more cost-effective to just replace that front pane.

Unless you want to use the sides for photography or viewing (which will not be of high quality anyways due to the large amount of scratches), I'd just paint them black as well. Or make a DIY 3D background that ranges from the back and onto the sides. It's easy enough to do these days.

Boom:

I've read of people using CLR on their tanks, but I was hesitant to use it mainly because of chemical residue. I never considered the coffee pot demo. Man, that's an old commercial... I'll give it a shot, see if I can find some around the house. Trying to avoid any over-head costs. I have been considering a DIY side2side back; back-round so I would be rinsing the tank out a number of times anyways. But lets do one thing at a time :wacko: Tank and stand for starters...

Boom, Slough:

I have to admit that I actually never thought about replacing the front glass, I mean I and going to reapply silicon so why not replace the glass as well. Right? I'll think about it. I have read a little about it on DIY forums it doesn't seem too hard, but how do you remove the old one? The glass for this tank is 1" thick. Is there place locally where I can acquire a sheet of glass for the size and thickness I need? Will it be safe? (rounded edge). If I can't get 1" thick what is acceptable?

I'll have to compare the costs of buffering the existing glass to that of replacing the sheet. I contacted C. R. Laurence Co., Inc and asked the for a list of business here in Edmonton which carry/sell CRL Cerium Oxide I received a reply this morning stating I can acquire it at:

Gordon Glass (888) 663-9830

Glass Distributors (800) 969-3528

I may call an ask for a price, I will also need to factor in the cost of a buffering tool with disc(s) from Princess Auto. Because I don't think the drill attachment will be effective enough.

I have to admit that I actually never thought about replacing the front glass, I mean I and going to reapply silicon so why not replace the glass as well. Right? I'll think about it. I have read a little about it on DIY forums it doesn't seem too hard, but how do you remove the old one? The glass for this tank is 1" thick. Is there place locally where I can acquire a sheet of glass for the size and thickness I need? Will it be safe? (rounded edge). If I can't get 1" thick what is acceptable?

Locally for glass, you can either call those same two glass comapnies and ask or check around for windows/etc that are the correct thickness/length/etc. In terms of rounded edge, most glass places should be able to sand it for you.

Even though I'm at this stage of the project I think its about time to decide the water circulation/filtration type. Sump or Canister filter (like FX5). I've never constructed a sump system before but I have done hours of reading (mainly supplied from Boom's links). Overall I really like the benefits of a sump tank being used for a larger aquarium.

For you experienced people out there, how does the cost of building a sump compare to that of just buying a filter? (I have the tools) Is this something even I can do?

I would like to make my final decision on this by the end of the week so I may incorporate the calculated size of my would-be sump into the plans for the dimensions of the stand. Thanks.

Gnaw, 1"?!?!?! did you measure the glass thickness or is that a guess? I have a real hard time believing it's an inch thick! That's rediculously thick and if you replace it it certainly doesn't have to be that beefy. 1/2 inch is plenty. HERE is a chart to help you figure out the thickness you need for the dimensions of the tank, it's in mm, so just do a conversion.

Aquagiant can hook you up with glass too. Very cheap compared to the glass places I'm told. Talk to redO, I'm pretty sure he just bought some glass from there.

Gnaw, 1"?!?!?! did you measure the glass thickness or is that a guess? I have a real hard time believing it's an inch thick! That's rediculously thick and if you replace it it certainly doesn't have to be that beefy. 1/2 inch is plenty.

Boom

My bad was in a bit of a rush. It is 1/2"

Currently working on removing old silicon, pictures will be up soon.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove a panel since its glue in?

Also what type of glue do I use for the new one?

Nick, by panel you mean a glass side? It's just silicone between them. Take a razor blade, start at the top and cut down the seam. Do that a few times and you should be able to get the blade right between the panels and cut them right apart. Make sure you have a helper for the last 2 panels!

Nick, by panel you mean a glass side? It's just silicone between them. Take a razor blade, start at the top and cut down the seam. Do that a few times and you should be able to get the blade right between the panels and cut them right apart. Make sure you have a helper for the last 2 panels!

Ah, Boom you're right! No wonder I wasn't able to find anything on the interweb about 'glue' to join the sheets :bang1:

That method worked like a charm! tyvm

Edited by Gnaw