Gnaw's 100g Tank Restoration & Stand Project

Gnaw

Actually you could quite easily get rid of the 2 verticle supports without compromising the strength of the stand. You just have to make sure that top cross beam is strong enough, which isn't hard. Look at my 180 project to see how I did that on mine. Granted, mine is only a 40" span, but it could be the full 6' had I wanted it that way.

Of coarse, just moving them outward is fine too.

Looking forward to seeing your updated design.

Ps. you should start a journal in the new journal section, and put this there.

Boom :boom:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like a MUCH better plan IMO Gnaw.

Any plans yet for the exterior?

Plywood panels? Doors?

Lookin great!

Boom

I'm just a little shaken due to the fact that a carpenter just said he approved my wooden frame design. If only the rest of the world were like that!

As for the rest of the plans. I may have them this Sunday if time permits. I'm going to look into a few options for doors, something simple. The same goes for the exterior. I'll pick-up some lumber and start building the frame as well.

How can I create my own sub-forum in member journal section?

Ha ha. No worries Gnaw.

The only thing I would still change is using a laminated beam for the front top beam. So instead of using two 2x4's, use a single 2x4, with a strip of 3/4" plywood laminated to each side. This will make it the same width as two 2x4's, but ten times stronger.

Like this:

P1020314.jpg

Your also gonna want to re-orient the top boards so that there is support under both the beams running lengthwise, as well as the ones running fron to back.

Like this:

untitled.jpg

To get a sub-forum created, you need to PM Tanker. He's the admin looking after it.

Edited by Boom

Got the materials. Total cost: $95.00

I think I'm in too deep now to consider just buying a new one! :lol:

I think I got the right screws. I managed to find that 3/4 sanded pine (Not cheap stuff). I sifted though the skid of 2x4's and found fifteen of the straightest ones I could find.

I love this stuff...

DSC06121Small.jpg

DSC06120Small.jpg

Looks good Nick. Those are the right screw to use. And nope, plywood ain't cheap!

Boom

Boom I don't understand why I need to do the laminated board thing to the top and not the bottom. I looked at your tank and you did it to the bottom.

Like Boom Mentioned Forget the angle irons.

I would use some wood cross braces to keep it from the side to side movement the angle irons i'm pretty sure were meant to prevent. That or use the leftover plywood and screw it to the back of the tank. Does the same job.

Good luck It's sure looking really really good.

L B)

Boom I don't understand why I need to do the laminated board thing to the top and not the bottom. I looked at your tank and you did it to the bottom.

Gnaw I'm not really sure what you mean by this? Are you talking about the cross beam that I said to make with 3/4" plywood glued and screwed (laminated) to either side of a 2x4 for strength (rigidity)?

If so, then no I did not do that to the bottom. It isn't needed.

• 2 weeks later...

is the silicone that you used aquarium safe? i was looking for some a while ago. i thought that type said specifically not for aquarium use

GE Silicone I is completely aquarium safe. They say it's not as a liability thing.

There is a long write up on it HERE.

i did not read the whole thing, but i think it said i could use silicone 1 or 2 as long it is not mildew restistant or anti fungus? i wanted to get the black exterior silicone 2. this should be safe for fish as long as i do it outside or away from fish right?

sorry i know this is a little off topic!

Thanks

Alright, I made the effort to get the ball rolling on the construction of the stand.

Here are some picture of what I've accomplished so far...

O yea, also don't be an idiot like me and cut something this big with a little table-saw, its dangerous!

DSC06217Small.jpg

Bottom frame:

DSC06218Small.jpg

The supports:

DSC06219Small.jpg

DSC06220Small.jpg

Top assembly:

DSC06221Small.jpg

DSC06222Small.jpg

Close-up of support, etc. I decided not to laminate the plywood on both side of the 2x4 I just didn't have enough material.

DSC06223Small.jpg

DSC06224Small.jpg

Plywood top installed and screwed down:

DSC06226Small.jpg

DSC06227Small.jpg