150 gallon

Fishful Thinking

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, Jason, I hadn't thought about that. Are you worried about the CO2 loss with the sump? Well, I think I have the solution--one more big tank. Jenn would love a 230 and you have room in the basement. Perfect solution!

Ironically, when we moved into the house, we were thinking that we should have went w. a 230 over a 135. We'll have to see what the next few months bring. :)

I was having a problem with getting food to the new multipunctatus in the tank. I want them feeding during the day if possible, as I would get more opportunity to see them. The problem was that the only time pellets would hit the bottom of the 150 was when I fed too much at once. I have started to take the pellets, stick my hand in half way down and release the pellets. I am definitely seeing more of the multis and the rest are still getting enough to eat.

I'll add pics later, but I also swapped over the PVC pipe pieces that were in the chimba tank into the 150 for the catfish. It's a nice, cheap hiding spot for them.

I added the wrong photo here so instead I will say that I am planning on purchasing another Eheim 2217 and a Hydor Koralia 4 for the tank. Do you think with it being pretty overstocked that two Eheim 2217s, an FX-5 and a Hydor Koralia 4 will be enough filtration and/or water movement?

Edited by Fishful Thinking

Are you asking about the tank being overstocked with fish or filters??!! :P

Are you getting any ammonia or nitrite readings? Any green water problems? If not, you're totally fine with the filtration you have.

If you do want more flow, go for powerheads - those Korylias are great (check out CanReef for good deals on used ones if you want to save some money).

Great set up you have there :) I absolutely hate cleaning the cascade canisters. You have to close the intake first (while still on) then unscrew the intake from the canister. Then you unplug the filter, close the valve on the output, then unscrew the output. What a pain they are. I also find them to be awkward trying to haul around, and I hate trying to prime them after cleaning. IMO spend a little extra money and get a Rena lol. I also have an eheim 2217, they are great and VERY silent. I have it on my 75 in my bedroom, and I never hear it. The only bad thing about the eheim, is the color of the tubes, you can pretty much guarantee you will see them in any set up lol. I still can't believe you have that much media in there. That is alot of filtration though, don't think you have to worry about the water quality going bad fast :P

The eheim 2250/2260 series canister filters are awesome, I have a 2250 and I think it does just as good of job as the FX5. They just didn't make the quick disconnects back when I bought it, so it is a huge pain getting out to clean. Time to invest I think lol. The huge downside to any fluval filter is the tubing they use. It breaks easier than hoses like eheim use.