Things that I have learned

Fishful Thinking

I thought I would post some things that I have learned about this hobby in the 3 short years that I have been keeping fish. My hope is that newbs don't have to make the same mistakes as I have! I will continue to add onto this as I learn more.

Things I have learned in 3 years (mostly from other, more knowledgeable people):

1. 90 gallon tanks fully-loaded setups seem to be easy to find used. It’s a way to save some money.
  2. Know what type of fish keeper you are. Some people like biotopes, other people like big, aggressive fish that can only be kept alone, others like their tanks to be a pretty picture. Think about the end product you want out of your tank before you go shopping.
  3. Big fish are a commitment. They can take a couple of years to grow up to that maximum size. They are totally worth it, but you have to be patient and keep your end goal in mind.
  4. Get a hose to faucet setup if you have anything bigger than 50 gallons. It saves you a lot of hassle long term and you don’t have to mess with all of those milk jugs or pails.
  5. Keeping plants is an additional hobby. It is very rewarding, but it is something extra to deal with. I will get back into it one day, but when I have more time.
  6. Ask questions. There are no stupid questions. You will never know if you do not ask.
  7. Use the search function on the site. There is lots of good stuff from past posts. Check it out.
  8. Over-filter, especially in heavily-stocked tanks. I like eheim if you have the money, the FX5 if you have less money, Rena after that, and Cascade if you are on a budget. However, in my experience you generally get what you pay for in this hobby.
  9. Money savers can help stretch your aqua-dollar. Filter media such as small lava rock and plastic dollar-store variety pot-scrubbers are good. Using Target or Quikrete playsand is an affordable alternative to gravel.
  10. If you are using are using sand, grab some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to turn over the sand to avoid dead spots and have them feed on the detritus in your tank. They are awesome!
  11. Big water changes are better. At least 50% weekly on a heavily stocked tank.
  12. Buy bristlenose plecos. They stay smaller and keep the tank clean. Why do the work when a cool fish can do it for you?
  13. Buy high quality food. It makes a difference with growth, disease and color. I love NLS, but you have to go with what you think is right after doing your own research and trusting your own experience.
  14. Spend money and research time on technological aspects of your tank that can be the difference between the life and death of your fish: filters and heaters would be the two main ones that come to mind, especially heaters. I cheaped out of a heater once and one night it was glowing bright red and would have cooked my fish by the morning. Not good.
  15. Modify your filter when it works for you and your aquatic needs. Change the output nozzles, the filter media stacking or the compartments. I will be doing this more in the future, especially in regards to the output.
  16. If you have a bigger tank, buy a quarantine tank, 20-30 gallons. Buy it used, buy it ugly but buy it. Even if it is a $50-100 investment, you will easily save that in the meds you would have to use treating a 90 gallon tank. Plus there will be less fish death.
  17. If you can, buy from people on this site. The prices are very reasonable, the quality is good, and you can meet people and build relationships that way. I have gotten to know a couple of people that way and I am thankful for that. PM me if you want some recommendations.
  18. If you buy online, be careful. Warranty can be an issue on equipment that you purchase. For livestock, I have had a lot of success using Spencer Jack as his stock is top quality and his prices are very competitive, especially for fish that the stores only occasionally bring in.
  19. For stores in Edmonton, I recommend Nature’s Corner Store. Gillian and Henry know there stuff, are fun to talk to, and never pressure you into buying anything. And they also try to save you money, which is always nice!
  20. I have recently found that the combining photography with your fish-keeping hobby is very enjoyable. It gives you something to take pictures of every single day!
  21. Mac computers are awesome, especially if you are not the most computer literate and you like taking photos and video footage! What does this have to do with keeping fish? Nothing! But I still like Macs!

Thanks, guys. I have been thinking about posting this stuff for a long time, but I was testing a couple of the theories.

New for tonight:

22. With the larger tanks, it really pays to have 4-5 big pails with lids for siphoning out the waste that collects on top of sand, for transporting fish and for putting tank decor in while doing redecorating or renovating.

• 1 month later...

23. Always have thermometers in your tanks and always check them when you are doing feedings. I had a heater get stuck on the "heat" position tonight, but I was thankfully able to catch it because I noticed the temperature was running a bit on the hot side. I think by tomorrow morning it would have been cooked fish!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks for that great information. I am where you were three years ago and just starting out. I am sure your advice will save me a lot of grief and wonder what people did before the internet. I have decide to keep SA Cichlids only and hope this works out for me. I kept tropical fish about 40 years ago but things were sure different then. Both equipment and information have come an amazing distance so I am on the learning curve all over again

thats what you call sharing of experience...thanks!!!

Thanks for that great information. I am where you were three years ago and just starting out. I am sure your advice will save me a lot of grief and wonder what people did before the internet. I have decide to keep SA Cichlids only and hope this works out for me. I kept tropical fish about 40 years ago but things were sure different then. Both equipment and information have come an amazing distance so I am on the learning curve all over again

Glad to help. SA cichlids are amazing fish. Good luck!

No problem. Experience and any learning I have done has usually been the result of some pretty dumb mistakes on my part, lol.

Glad to help. SA cichlids are amazing fish. Good luck!

No problem. Experience and any learning I have done has usually been the result of some pretty dumb mistakes on my part, lol.

I understand it is best to have a second small tank for isolation for sick fish or babies. Is 5-10 gal big enough for this?

I understand it is best to have a second small tank for isolation for sick fish or babies. Is 5-10 gal big enough for this?

IMO, your quarantine/hospital tank should be large enough to comfortably house your largest fish for at least a month.

IMO, your quarantine/hospital tank should be large enough to comfortably house your largest fish for at least a month.

Thanks I guess I will figure that out when I get my fish