Boom's 55 Gallon

Boom

I just wanted to update the stock list.

For some reason I've had a few deaths recently.

I lost both of the little Juli transcriptus, I think the other, bigger regani's picked them off.

And today I pulled out a yellow lab and a white lab. I have no idea what happened to them., All was normal with them, eating, not being picked on, no visible damage or illness etc etc. Not sure.

I did add the two Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi on Sunday night, and they look awesome. Will have to get some pics soon.

Boom :boom:

• 2 weeks later...

OK still no pics, but I wanted to walk through a change I made today. Decided to change the substrate out as i was not very pleased with the black "sand" I had in there. it was too coarse and sharp, the fish never picked it up in their mouths and I jut didn't like the look.

So I took out the rocks and the plants, then used a med size net to scoop out as much of the old substrate as I could, which I placed in a 5 gal bucket.

I then siphoned out the rest of the sand, as if doing a water change, but just sucking up the rest of the sand as well.

I washed the new sand, which is also black, but much finer and looks better IMO. Placed a bunch in a 5 gal pail, about 1/4 full, then rinsed it for a while, then dumped it in the tank. Once I had enough of the new sand in the tank, I put the rocks and plants back in and, voila!

thats how you can change the substrate in a tank without removing the fish!

very simple.

I'll post some new tank pics soon.

Here are some new pics. I had a few free minutes while the babes were sleeping today.

Pundamilia nyererie

P1030172.jpg

P1030173.jpg

P1030190.jpg

Black calvus

P1030179.jpg

Frontosa

P1030174.jpg

Electric yellows

P1030180.jpg

Electric whites

P1030186.jpg

P1030176.jpg

Pseudocrenilabrus nicholsi

P1030185.jpg

Cyprichromis leptesoma (mpulungu)

P1030184.jpg

So that was why you would have moved out some petricolas, I didn't know you had that many in there :) I got petricolas from the same source Harold did, and only paid $7 each :P

Sounds good so far. So what made you decide to mix fish from the different lakes? When I had my vics in my tang tank, they were little aholes and picked on my tangs, which is why I am getting rid of mine now. I am getting some N. buescheri to replace the vics. I really want cyps, but I am afraid that will be too much for a 55, and I don't intend on over stocking too much. I find alot of my fish do come out in the open, yet I have alot of hidey holes created by the rocks for the smaller fish. I have been trying to decide if I want to get leluepi or not.

Can't wait to see a FULL tank shot with the new substrate :) Also in the pic with your peacocks and haps in the 55, they make the tank look sooo small lol. They must have been big fish there. I agree with overstocking, I do it with my malawi tanks, but don't want to risk it with my SA/CA tanks. Those are some pretty fish you have, you must have gotten the white labs from Spencer.

Edited by firestorm

• 1 year later...

Wow! I have certainly neglected updating this thread. Nothing for over a year!

Well I've been aweful busy. The tank really hasn't changed all that much, some occupants have come and gone. I have only 3 mbuna left in there after they killed off all their bretheren. I emergency moved my OB peacock and 2 Vics I had in there to the 180 just to save their souls. I'm now ousting the last 3 mbuna and will be re-stocking.

Getting some nice fish from Harold (Fairdeal) and from Patrick.

So the new stock will be:

4 Aulonocara Sp. Lwanda "red top" (1 male, 3 female) These are F1 stock.

12 Paralabidochromis sp. rock kribensis "Mwanza Gulf" These are F2 stock.

They will be joining the 8 little Synodontis petricola's (F1) I have had in there for quite a while.

I'm going to see what happens as far as breeding goes. If I get some babies, great, if not, well no sweat really. Depending on what I get, I may see if there is interest in them to sell, or I may just use the fry as foor for my fronts. :)

I have kept peacocks before, but only males. I have never kept rock kribs before but have always loved these little guys. I'm really looking forward to getting them and am praying that the mix and stock levels in the tank will be ok.

I will be sure to post pictures when I can, with my new work camera.(Nikon D300)

I'm also going to be once again changing out the substrate. A bit tired of the black sand, so I'm going to put in the natural sand, same as whats in the 180. I may swap out the one filter head as well and adjust some filter media to get more flow. Although with the 2 filters, filtration has never been an issue with this tank, even when grossly overstocked. :) I need some new bulbs for the lights on this tank, and am going to go for some quality ones, not the cheap Chinese ones from Aquagiant anymore. The only other thing I may do is put one of those in-line heaters in the cannister line to get the heater out of the tank.

Keep an eye out for more updates to this tank. :)

I got the Rock Kribs today and WOW! They are awesome little fish! Thanks Patrick.

I swapped out the substrate and added new rocks as well. I think the tank looks great and I'm gonna try to get some good pics tomorrow.

I decided NOT to add the peacocks as well, so this will be just a rock krib and syno's tank.

Turns out I have 10 of the little petricolas, not 8 like I thought. And I got 12 of the kribs today, I think 4 possiby 5 males, and the rest females. And as a bonus, 2 of the females are already holding!

Will add pics soon.