Tropheus sp. "Red" (Chimba)

Fishful Thinking

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I borrowed a buddy's external flash but could not figure out how to get good overhead lighting with it. I ended up having to sit there with the camera on a tripod and me standing beside it while I manually pushed down on the flash button and the the button on the camera to take the picture. Needless to say, it was not super productive, but I have enjoyed the few results that I got. Some advice here about equipment and technique would be appreciated. Here is what I captured:

IMG_7644.jpg

IMG_7671.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

Edited by Fishful Thinking

Better equipment makes a huge difference, doesn't it? I know when I went from my point and shoot Canon G5 to my dad's Nikon DSLR, my pics drastically increased in quality.

It's nice to have equipment that matches your abilities, it's no good when a camera hinders your skill. I'm excited to see what shots you'll come out with as you get more comfortable with the new lens. These look great for starters :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

When you are using an external flash on top of the lid you get a very narrow beam of light. This is fine if you are taking picture of a single fish that is not too close to the surface. A little trick is to put something under your lightstrip on one end so it's in an angle and with enough room to put the flash under this end aiming up rather than down. Now the light will bounce off the reflector in your light strip and down into the tank, giving you a much wider area that is being lit up. You need to tweak the angle of the light strip and flash until it's just right. It requires more power from the flash so you should have it set on maximum power. Even better if you have two flashes, one on each end :)

It sure does make a difference with a new lens. Great photo's. Wish I had a better camera than my little sony with 6 megapixels lol.

I have always loved tropheus species of fish, would love a colony of them someday :) How many are in your tank? And what size is the tank?