Tropheus sp. "Black" (Kiriza)

Fishful Thinking

I should have done this on my other tank sections, and maybe I still will, but I thought I would give the full history of this aquarium. My wife and I were living up north, near High Level, and I was able to get a job here in Leduc, so we moved back. One thing about living up north was that there wasn't a lot to spend money on. So when we came down south we "splurged" and set up an old 40 gallon tank that I used to keep firebelly toads in when I was a kid. We bought guppies from big box stores and some plants too.

Well, to make this long story short, we got sick of the constant breeding of the guppies, so we upgraded and bought the 90 gallon setup within a year. We stocked it with a lot of the same plants, plus more from jvision. We put rainbow fish in it too, which are really cool fish. We did a CO2 setup too. After a year of that, I found that the tank was taking up more time than I had with all of the pruning, etc, and we wanted to focus on just fish, so we sold off everything in the tank and stocked it with Lake Malawi cichlids we had sitting in a 80 gallon tank (which we then sold). The tank was feeling a bit cramped for the size and amount of fish, so we eventually bought a 150 and through a series of events would become the home for the Rift Lake cichlids. That left the 90 open so we stocked it with SA/CA fish--nics, green terror, severums, etc. I could never really balance out the aggression and I felt constrained by a 90 gallon tank that could only have three fish. If you have read my "Things I learned" post, this is where I started to learn what type of fishkeeper I was. I liked lots of fish in the tank. So we sold those off and filled it with Mbuna. The Mbuna were great and they still are since Boom bought them all, lol. But I had a new obsession: tropheus. Seeing video on Youtube of these fish swimming around the tank, feeding and interacting with each other made me instantly interested. There cost at local fish stores, however, made me cringe. Thankfully, Punman contacted me and I was able to purchase 22 kiriza from him for a very reasonable price. I picked those fish up about a month later and they have been in the 90 gallon for the last two months, thriving.

So here is that tank today (apologies on the quality). I will be updated more later, but don't worry, it won't be as text heavy!

IMG_0687.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...