The visual water change

Fishful Thinking

Now it occurs to me that I have been doing this the hard way. I always add my prime to water while it is in a bucket and swish it around for a bit before adding it to the tank, I guess in an attempt to let it mix and get rid of the chlorine before adding it to the tank. it appears here that this is not necessary? I can add it to the tank and then add tap water and I will be good?

That is great . Any way to make the pictures 1/2 the size?

I always add the prime and then fill . I am very grateful to John (seajays) for showing me this.

Doing water changes by hosing out/hosing in is the only way I can maintain my tanks.

Henry and Gillian at Nature's helped me out with all of this stuff. And I agree, I would have downgraded to a 20 gallon tank a long time ago without the hose!

In terms of the size request, Sue, I have downsized the pictures from what they were for this topic. Do they look really big on your computer? The other ones on my other topics have already been uploaded, so it will be kind of a pain to go back and re-upload them. In the future, most of the pictures will be as big as they are on this topic.

One day I was changing the water and I noticed it was taking forever. I thought I just got some sand in the line and I would need to flush it out later. When I had finally taken out enough water I reverse the flow to get fresh water in and the first thing to come out of the house on the tank end was a yellow lab with its face smashed in. He had made it all the way down the line. Poor guy. So now I always have the pot scrubber stretched over the end, just in case.

Great thread Greg. I'm sure it will be helpful to many.

I do mine basically the same but I suck the poo up with the hose as I'm siphoning the water out, so I don't have that extra step first.

I still use the small siphon and a bucket for my 55 gallon as it is not as conveniently located to a tap.

Boom :boom: