Boom's Woodworking

Boom

So I was thinking of creating a new thread showcasing some of my woodworking projects. I wasn't sure what people would think of me doing this, but Tankers post about this forum says:

Inside you'll (eventually) find a list of member's names, each one a link to their own unique sections where they may start threads based on whatever they wish.

So I figured, "why not"?

This thread is not meant to advertise or sell my products in any way. I simply wanted to share with you one of my other passions; working with wood! I do however do custom work for other people, if you are interested in having some work done for you, please PM me and DO NOT post requests on this thread.

Woodworking is not completely unrelated to fish keeping. I have already been able to combine the two passions several times. In my 180 tank project thread, I go through detail of building the stand for the tank. I have also built several other aquarium stands for people, including one for a member on this forum. Most of the projects I do however, are unrelated. As I post the pics of my projects, I will add some detail on the project that people may find useful. If you have specific "how to" questions or questions about technique, please PM me also.

I should note that I don't have any formal training in woodworking or carpentry, nor do I do it for a living. I am self taught and still learning. I am slowly improving my tool arsenal and my skill. I do the work in my spare time, which seems to be quite limited lately.

Thanks for looking.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These projects are in no particular order. Keep in mind that I don't have pictures of all the projects I've done, so this is just a sampling.

This first project is a picture frame I made for my parents last year X-mas. A picture frame is not a terribly complicated project, but it does require a great deal of accuracy to get nice tight mitered corners at a perfect 90*. This frame is made from flame Birch. There is a bit of a story behind the wood that makes it unique. My best friends grandfather was a cabinetmaker for many many years. Now, at 80 some years old, he finds he can't work anymore. He was cleaning out his garage and found a dozen or so old boards laying on the floor. He said they had been there at least 30 years! He knew they were birch, and stamped on some of the boards was "Japan 1953" which indicates they were cut at least 55 years ago. The boards were quite warped and twisted, making them unusable for larger projects, but with some machining I can get good wood for smaller projects like this.

Here is the frame (thats me and my family). It holds an 8x10" photo, matted to 11x14".

P1010294.jpg

This next project is a small box I made for my stepmother's 60th birthday. It is made of Bird'seye maple and Jatoba for the corners and handle, finished with gloss polyurethane. It is my own design and is approx 11"(l) x 5"(w) x 4"(h).

P1020072.jpg

P1020068.jpg

P1020070.jpg

P1020075.jpg

This next project was my first time working with these two particular exotic woods. This is a wall mirror / shelf made of Zebrawood and Wenge. I made two of them at the same time, one is proudly hanging in the front enterance of our house, the other was gifted to my in-laws last x-mas. Only the shelf part is mounted to the wall, the mirror is "floating".

P1010747.jpg

This next project was one of my favorites ever. I made it for my son for his first birthday. He absolutely loves it and rides it every day, which is why it's my favorite.

P1010554.jpg

P1010557.jpg

Here is a coffee table I made for our living room. It is made of oak and has porcelain tile inlayed into the top. The tile matches the tile backsplash I did in our kitchen. It's a fairly simple, but functional design. I also made two matching end tables, one of which is slightly visible in the background of this pic.

P1010748.jpg

My mother liked that table so much that she had me make one for her too. I just changed the stain color and tile inlay. I actually like her table better than ours!

P1020228.jpg

P1020230.jpg

This is a clock I made for my recent bosses retirement. The face, although fully functional to tell time, is obviously a spoof. You'd have to know my boss and understand his sense of humor to know that he did appreciate it. I built the case of the clock from Black Walnut and Bird'seye Maple.

P1020217.jpg

P1020214.jpg

I was hired to build this next project for a friend at work. He has one of those tall dining tables with tall chairs. He wanted a small side table that he could use the same chairs with to sit in his spare room or on his balcony to enjoy a coffee. He lives very high up in a highrise so likes to sit and enjoy the view. The table was the first time I used mortise and tennon joinery and it turned out quite well for me. It is made of solid Maple with Bird'seye maple for the apron. He really likes the table.

P1010978.jpg

P1010977.jpg

P1010979.jpg

I was also paid to build this shadow box for another friend. He wanted it to give to his wife as a gift to display her marathon medals. It is made of solid mahogany with a black velvet background. It now proudly hangs on the wall in their home.

P1010395.jpg

P1010396.jpg

I love your work Ryan, but you already knew that!!!

Although I do have to say I did not realize your work was so diverse! Why are you not in cabnetry or something where you can really show off this work?

Wow, very creative Boom. The paint job on the rocking-motorcycle is fantastic!

The picture with the table in the corner with the glass windows over-looking the ground gives me vertigo. I feel dizzy looking at it... :wacko:

The next project I want to share is a jewelry box I made for my beautiful wife for x-mas last year. I was not quite sure if she'd like it, but when she opened the gift, she cried. She told me it was a good cry. ;) The box is made of exotic woods called Bubinga and Jatoba, both beautiful but very hard woods. There is a heart and a diamond inlayed in the top of the lid. To go along with the box I made her a necklace stand so that her necklaces don't get bunched up in the box.

P1010310.jpg

P1010305.jpg

P1010311-1.jpg

Here is another box I made for my wife. It's just a simple decorative box for no special occasion. She used it to hold her tea-lights in. It is made of Wenge and Bird'seye Maple (can you tell I love Bird'seye maple?), and is about 10"(l) x 3.5"(w) x 3.5"(h). I used maple corner splines to strengthen the mitred corners.

P1010740.jpg

P1010751.jpg

Edited by Boom

This next project is my most recent. I gave it to my wife for x-mas this year. It's a vase made of five different woods: Mahogany, Walnut, Purpleheart, Ash, and Padauk. It is made to hold dry flowers or a glass vase could be placed inside it to hold water for live flowers.

The vase is my own design and the technique to make it was a bit complex, requiring numerous glue-ups and compound (beveled and tapered) angles to be cut on the table saw. The finish is shellac.

P1020808.jpg

P1020809.jpg

I will have more projects and pictures soon.

I appologize for the varying size of the photos. Maybe one day I'll get around to fixing them so they're all the same size.

Thank you for the kind comments!

Lana, to do this type of work for a living I would either have to work for a small company, which wouldn't be very good pay, or work for myself, which isn't very secure. I have a very secure job now that pays well enough. I was also once told not to turn your hobbies into your job, otherwise you won't enjoy it any more! So for now at least, I'll keep it as a part time hobby and try to make a few bucks off it here and there to support the great expenses.