Boom's Woodworking

Boom

I have recently received a few requests from members interested in having me build some custom aquarium stands for them. First and foremost, thank you to those members for considering me for your custom woodworking needs! I am very appreciative of that.

I'd like to take a few minutes to explain where I've been, what I've been up to, both in my woodworking and in my career as a police officer. I know I havent been around the forum much lately, but rest assured I still have my aquariums, still have my fish, still enjoy the hobby, and have been very very busy!

So first I'll start by saying that in the past few months my woodworking "career" has moved forward significantly, at least in my books, especially considering that I still do this as a hobby in my spare time only. In addition to AA, I am an active member of several woodworking forums, where I show my work, ask and answer woodworking questions, and have discussions on all things wood related. I was approached several months ago by the chief editor of Canadian Woodworking Magazine. He asked if I would be interested in making a project and writing an article about it for an upcoming issue of the magazine. Of course I was shocked and honored, and accepted the task. I worked on that project and wrote the article, which has been submitted to the editor, and will be published sometime in early 2011. It will be my first time being published.

In my career as a police officer, I have been very busy as well. In January I accepted a position in the crime scene forensics unit. I have been working there since then, and in the end of October I came to Ottawa for 8 weeks of formal training in the forensics field. I am still in Ottawa, and have 3 weeks of my training left to go. Prior to coming to Ottawa, I met with the owner of TU Gallery in Edmonton. TU gallery displays and sells high quality custom made wood furniture. I had been in the gallery several times prior and expressed interest in one day having some of my work displayed there. Well the owner saw some of my work on my website gallery, and was interested in seeing some of it in person. In October I brought in several pieces that I had built, and he immediately asked me to build something for the gallery to display! What an honor! Unfortunately at the time of our meeting, I was off to Ottawa in a few days and had no time to build anything. So projects for the gallery are a top priority on my list once I return home and finally have some shop time again.

I've also been neglecting several projects that I promised to build for my wife. Almost two years ago I told her I would build her a bedroom suite. I have built the headboard and two dressers, but still owe her two night tables. I also owe her a wine rack that I have started but neglected to finish becasue of other projects and time constraints. Needless to say, when I return to Edmonton, I will have my hands full of projects for some time.

I can however show you guys a few more things that I have completed since my last posting here.

I'll start with the second dresser I build for our bedroom suite. Solid walnut with solid birch drawers.

RPS_0075.jpg

RPS_0076.jpg

RPS_0079.jpg

RPS_0077.jpg

Another small collectors box. Cocobolo rosewood lid, with narra. This one is still for sale!

P1040994.jpg

P1050002.jpg

P1040996.jpg

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dear old uncle asked me to build him an entertainment stand. He provided me some details as to what he wanted for size, dimensions of his stereo equipment, and left the rest pretty much up to me. This is what I came up with for him. Solid oak with white oak raised panels. The doors slide from side to side.

RPS_0057.jpg

RPS_0058.jpg

RPS_0062.jpg

RPS_0063.jpg

This next project was for an AA member, Lana Bollers. Lana asked me to buid this display box for her son's sword. It's made of solid oak with walnut accents and custom brackets to hold the sword. It also features solid brass hardware.

P1050068Mod.jpg

P1050070Mod.jpg

P1050072Mod.jpg

P1050076Mod.jpg

P1050073Mod.jpg

My new boss at work had several swords that were handed down to him from his dad. He also wanted to display them, in his office. He left the design completely up to me, and this is what I came up with. It is solid african mahogany with maple inlay.

RPS_0011Mod.jpg

RPS_0019Mod.jpg

RPS_0017Mod.jpg

I made this cutting board as a gift for some friends of ours. It is end grain butcher block style which is extremely durable for cutting on. Its made with maple, cherry, birch, and purpleheart woods.

P1050183.jpg

P1050191.jpg

P1050193.jpg

This next project is another gift. It's a jewelry box in a "band saw box" style. It is made from mango wood (yes from a mango tree, the type that you can eat) and african mahogany for the base and pulls.

RPS_0019.jpg

RPS_0018.jpg

RPS_0022.jpg

RPS_0024.jpg

Here is another gift I made. Something about solid wood toys that really appeals to little boys. This is made of padauk and maple woods.

RPS_0015.jpg

RPS_0016.jpg

RPS_0017.jpg

I love a challenge in woodworking, and nothing says challenge like making a bowl without a lathe. Thats right, I don't own a lathe. I made this with some router work and a band saw only. It is made from the scrap wood of the cutting board posted above, and will be given along with it as a gift.

RPS_0005.jpg

RPS_0004.jpg

RPS_0006.jpg

One of the greatest joys in woodworking is making your own tools. It's even a greater joy if they work well. This is the first wooden plane I have made, but it certainly won't be the last! It was fun to make and is a joy to use. Made of white oak with walnut wedge and purpleheart pin.

RPS_0014.jpg

RPS_0013.jpg

RPS_0016-1.jpg

Well thats about all I've got to show you for now. I did also complete a large shelving unit for a client, but I havent had the opportunity to take photos of it yet. I will post it once I do.

So that, in a nutshell, is what I've been up to. Very busy as you can see.

Hopefully a few people take the time to look at all this stuff, and post some comments. I love hearing from you guys.

Thanks!

Boom :boom:

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, and just as a reminder to everyone, if you are interested in me doing some work for you, or purchasing something I have built, PLEASE PM ME. I don't check this thread every day and I may miss your post. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

My dear old uncle asked me to build him an entertainment stand. He provided me some details as to what he wanted for size, dimensions of his stereo equipment, and left the rest pretty much up to me. This is what I came up with for him. Solid oak with white oak raised panels. The doors slide from side to side.

RPS_0057.jpg

RPS_0058.jpg

RPS_0062.jpg

RPS_0063.jpg

This next project was for an AA member, Lana Bollers. Lana asked me to buid this display box for her son's sword. It's made of solid oak with walnut accents and custom brackets to hold the sword. It also features solid brass hardware.

P1050068Mod.jpg

P1050070Mod.jpg

P1050072Mod.jpg

P1050076Mod.jpg

P1050073Mod.jpg

Ryan we love the sword case it is BEAUTIFUL!

• 3 months later...

Alrighty guys and gals, for anyone who still looks at this thread, here are a few of my most recent projects.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

First up is a small box I made, mostly to practice my veneering skills. I recently found a really good deal on a large quantity of quilted makore veneer. This box is made of mahogany, with the quilted makore veneer as the panel in the lid. An inlay of curly maple and walnut surround the panel, and the lift is also walnut. This box is currently for sale, please PM me for a price, but please be aware that although very slight, there are 2 imperfections in the veneered lid top.

P1050544.jpg

P1050543.jpg

P1050545.jpg

P1050546.jpg

P1050547.jpg

Next up is a small wine rack I was asked to build for my wife. It is made of solid curly and birds eye maple. Solid ebony is used for the pull on the custom fit wooden sliding drawer made of cherry.

CopyofP1050533.jpg

CopyofP1050534.jpg

CopyofP1050535.jpg

CopyofP1050536.jpg

I completed these two step stools very recently. They were custom made for a coworkers daughters. Solid maple and purpleheart, with heart inlays in the sides, and the girls' names inlayed in the tops.

RPS_0007small.jpg

RPS_0010small.jpg

RPS_0012small.jpg

RPS_0013small.jpg

RPS_0019small.jpg

This next project was custom designed and built to be put in a local art gallery that specialized in custom solid wood furniture. Unfortunately, the gallery closed it's doors at the beginning of April, with this table never making it there.

It is a small occasional table made with a solid slab of crotch walnut as the top, and figured antique birch for the base. It is 30" long, 16 1/2" wide, and 16" tall. While it appears to be a fairly simple design, the angles and perfect joinery of the base make it very difficult to build. Combined with the ultra rare piece of wood for the top, this table truly is a one of a kind piece of art. This occasional table is currently for sale. Please see my post in the classifieds section of this forum for more details. FOR SALE

RPS_0044.jpg

RPS_0045.jpg

RPS_0046.jpg

RPS_0034.jpg

RPS_0026.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by Boom

And last one for now, just a few more cutting boards I recently finished as well.

All made of maple, cherry and purpleheart, and two of them also have walnut in them.

P1050526.jpg

P1050530.jpg

P1050529.jpg

P1050528.jpg

P1050527.jpg

P1050532.jpg