Boom's Woodworking

Boom

Thanks everyone.

Jane, the majority of my work is my own designs and ideas. I seldom do anything more then rough sketches, if anything at all, before I start to build. I often just envision how I want something to look, what type of wood and techniques I will use, and just do it.

A few projects like the rocking motorcycle and the zebrawood / wenge mirror shelf combo are from plans. If someone shows me a picture of something and asks me to build it, I can do that too. Feel free to PM me if you have something in mind. I have 2 other people on this forum that have PM'd me and are waiting for me to get back to them. I've just been so busy.

I just completed another project and will post pics very soon.

Next is the shelving units to go on either side of the 180 gallon!

After that will be a bedroom suite for my wife for her upcoming 30th birthday.

So keep posted for my updates. And thanks again for the support.

Boom :boom:

Edited by Boom

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok here is another project I just completed.

A few months ago, a friend at work told me that her beloved dog Ciga had passed away. She was quite upset about it, and being a dog lover myself, I felt her pain. Not more than another month had passed and she told me that her other dog Teak had also passed away. You could imagine her and her families sorrow. Teak was a former police dog and was the absolute best companion imagineable in her working life and retirement. Ciga was nicknamed "Miss faithful" and was equally as loved. My friends had both dogs cremated.

I was honored when they asked me a short time after to build some memorial boxes to not only contain their ashes, but also display a photo and momento of each dog.

We came up with a general idea of what they wanted it to look like, I did a few sketches, and then set out to work on them.

I settled on using Teak (the wood) for the project, to, in part, pay hommage to the dogs.

Here is the end results.

Both boxes.

P1030204.jpg

Ciga's box has her paw print and dog tag inlayed into it. The name page on the front will be replaced by their favorite photo of her.

P1030206.jpg

P1030207.jpg

P1030212.jpg

P1030211.jpg

Teak's box has her pawprint on the side as well as the photo on the front. They originally were considering having her police I.D card also inlayed in the front but I guess decided against it.

I am very happy with the look of these boxes.

P1030209.jpg

P1030210.jpg

I dunno if its because I'm getting to be a big old softy as I get older but those boxes made me cry, I'm laughing at the fact that I cried since it was a. a while ago that it happened to your friend and b. isn't even my dog. But either way I cried. I want to say that again you did an amazing job. :D

• 1 month later...

Just delivered a custom made stand and canopy made for a 150 gallon for a member on this forum. He seemed very happy with it. Will post some pics once he has the tank set up on it.

Also working on a solid walnut bedroom suite for my wife. It's her 30th birthday present. I have the headboard built and assembled and will post pics after I put the finish on it.

Great, can't wait to see the pictures. Maybe I should have hired you to show me how to build a stand ;) . Mine's ... alright but I'm not happy with the chips I've got in the type of cheap surface I used. I also wish I was able to cut and mount the doors properly that swing open.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so despite being very very busy with woodworking, I've not posted any new pics lately. So here are a few.

I built this candle holder for my wife. It's made out of Cocobolo, which is an expensive, exotic wood. The legs are made of paduak.

The pictures just don't do this one justice. I'll make more of these to sell if people are interested. All our friends really love this one.

PM me if you want me to make one for you!

P1030340.jpg

P1030341.jpg

P1030342.jpg

Edited by Boom

A co-worker of mine gave me some maple boards for free. To show my appreciation, I made him the box out of some of the maple, and cherry.

I'm really very happy with this box. It's not quite done in these pictures. Once done, you won't see the brass pins sticking out the sides that the lid hinges on.

I just love making these little boxes and they make a great gift. PM me if you would like one!

P1030390.jpg

P1030391.jpg

P1030392.jpg

P1030393.jpg

I mentioned that for my wife's 30th Birthday (earlier this month) I'm building her a solid walnut bedroom suite. Here is the headboard completed. The panels are zebrawood.

I still have to build two full size dressers ( a tall one and a long one), and 2 night tables. I'll start those hopefully soon.

P1030343.jpg

P1030345.jpg

P1030348.jpg

P1030346.jpg

• 5 months later...

WOW. It has been a loooooong time since I posted any new woodworking projects! :o

I really should smarten up.

Ok so here are a few more recent stuff.

These are a few cabinet maker's mallets that I made. I made one for me and one for my dad as a Fathers day gift. He does some woodworking as well. I was once told by someone very wise that a true woodworker is one that makes some of his own tools. Well, this is my first real tool that I've made. It is great for banging on chisels, persuading wood into or out of place, and other such tasks.

The wood is curly rock maple and jatoba.

P1030591.jpg

P1030593.jpg

P1030580.jpg

P1030597.jpg

A coworker of mine does a bit of hunting. He wanted a nice clean place to store his rifles, bow and ammo. I designed this storage area for him to do just that, plus the large solid maple top allows him a place to work on and clean his guns if he chooses.

Notice the curly maple I used in this project as well. This is just stunning wood. In fact the curly maple I used for the mallets were scrap pieces from this project.

Anyway, the customer was very happy with the outcome of this design and he loves the rustic feel of the piece. And 'cause I know someone will probably ask, yes it is completely legal to store weapons and ammunition in locked cases in this fashion.

P1030598.jpg

P1030599.jpg

P1030602.jpg

P1030603.jpg

P1030604.jpg

P1030601.jpg

This is part 2 (of 5) of the bedroom suite I am building for my wife. Her dresser. Designed to look modern in style, it is solid walnut with zebrawood accent. The drawers are made from solid yellow birch. The wife of coarse loves it and it affords her quite a bit more clothing storage space than her old crappy dresser did.

Still remaining to complete for the bedroom suite is my dresser (upright) and 2 night tables. I hope to have those done by the end of the year.

P1030616.jpg

P1030618.jpg

P1030623.jpg

P1030620.jpg

P1030624.jpg

P1030621.jpg

P1030626.jpg

P1030628.jpg

This is my most recent completed project. It's a hall table I designed and built for my sister and her new hubby for their wedding gift. Designing this table was a lot of fun as it's a bit more of a complex curvy design that much of my other stuff. I wanted something really unique, classy, and very high quality for them.

The table top is a hair under 13" wide and is a single piece of quarter sawn Bubinga. The base of the table is made from African Mahogany. The table features a floating top design. My sister and hubby loved it. You'll have to take my word for it that the pictures just don't do this piece justice. The figure in this wood is stunning.

P1040005.jpg

P1040006.jpg

P1040010.jpg

P1040011.jpg

P1040016.jpg

P1040018.jpg

P1040009.jpg

I already have a request from a friend to built them a similar table.