Ruby red Peacocks

JORG

One of my personal favorite fish I have ever had. I got the original trio from Gold's and they were not for sale but with a little arm bending (or a lot ha ha) I brought them home minus a small stack in my wallet. My imformation is that they were imported from Germany and that they are line bred Aulonocara stuartgranti "chipoka". Here is a pic of the male I have posted it before but am always looking for an excuse to post it again.

fish029.jpg

Unfortunately I lost the male a while back when the greedy begger choked on some 3 mil pellets that I added to the tank to supplement the Ramphochromis that he was sharing the tank with after the initial feeding of 1 mil pellets( my mistake). But I did have a couple hundred fry kicking around to start over. Here is a pic of them breeding

fish840.jpg

So now my goal is to get a male as good or better than the one I had, I know it should be a no brainer with all the fry but I can't account for the quality of the females I got with the male as they all look the same so I am growing out juvies and checking things out and will continue line breeding them if I have to--- Here's some pics of little guys growing out now they all range between 2-3 inches I will post more soon and I hope to get some input on which one's you think are best

Ruby A

fish1414.jpg

ruby B one of my personal early favorites already have fry from him

fish1415-1.jpg

ruby C

fish1417.jpg

ruby D

fish1418.jpg

ruby E he is about 2 inches but showing really well

fish1412.jpg

I will post more pics of the others in the near future

Edited by JORG

Firstly I would like to say, HOLY CATFISH, they are sweet!!!

I like "C" he seems more flashy...hard to tell from a photo though, in person is always the best... The blue on him seems more sharp, although it could be the lighting in his photo... and his read seems more deep again could be lighting....

I look forward to more photos.

Firstly I would like to say, HOLY CATFISH, they are sweet!!!

I like "C" he seems more flashy...hard to tell from a photo though, in person is always the best... The blue on him seems more sharp, although it could be the lighting in his photo... and his read seems more deep again could be lighting....

I look forward to more photos.

Umm can i say DITTO.

L

and good luck with the breeding

• 2 weeks later...

I like Ruby B. By far the best I think..lol

Without a doubt - ruby B

The trick is going to be finding which females will constantly produce males that look as good (or even better) than the father.

You hit the nail right on the head---right now I have 9 males I'm keeping each with 3 to 10 females and I have room for 2 more groups if something special pops up in the 100 or so rubies that I still have not sorted out. I think I will have a better idea of what is happening when the fry from these groups start coloring up. I'm glad I only had a trio to begin with as it narrows things down already.

The way things are looking most if not all the males will be good looking fish. I put ruby B and 8 of his girlfreinds in a 90 gal about 10 days ago with some juvie Copadichromis trewasae and he is really starting to look good now. I will post some update photo's of B and photo's of F to I soon.

Looks like you have another winner with ruby I.

Ruby I is a good looking fish but not any better colored than the rest, the tank he is in allows for good shots. On most of the pics the color is a bit washed my photography skills are limited to point and shoot with the auto setting on.

• 1 month later...

I guess it's been a while so I thought I would do an update--Here's some pics I took last night

Ruby A

fish1617.jpg

Ruby B

fish1629.jpg

Ruby C

fish1621.jpg

Ruby D

fish1625.jpg

Ruby E

fish1622.jpg

Ruby F

fish1620.jpg