Gnaw's Backyard Metalcasting

Gnaw

This is a hobby I took up last summer.

Basically, I'm melting down any aluminum I can get my hands on (Except pop cans). I've been making ingots for another project I will attempt this summer.

Since I've started, I've built three furnaces all using a homemade refractory recipe and a variety of other materials. I've used charcoal, propane, and oil for fuel. So far a lot of everything I've experienced since then has been a lot of trial and error but I'm getting better.

Here are some pictures taken today, using my current setup.

Propane-fueled with a high-pressure regulator. A 10ft HP hose connected to a gas value which controls the output of my atmospheric burner, AKA venturi-style burner (my own design)

DSC06093Small.jpg

DSC06094Small.jpg

DSC06095Small.jpg

DSC06096Small.jpg

Here are some threaded aluminum pipes I obtained today, which will be fed into the furnace.

DSC06108Small.jpg

DSC06107Small.jpg

DSC06109Small.jpg

Some night-time flame shots...

DSC06110Small.jpg

DSC06111Small.jpg

Some pictures of me taking the crucible out ready for pouring into a bread pan (Don't take pictures yourself when doing this its dangerous, leave that to stupid people like me).

DSC06112Small.jpg

DSC06114Small.jpg

The loot!

DSC06115Small.jpg

That's all I pictures I took today. I'm also out of aluminum. If you have any that you would like to get rid of PM me. I'll pick it up!

Really kewl !

Here's my friend Shawn's website. His business is in Edmonton but he does give classes.

He is very much an artist and has done a lot of jobs in Calgary too. He may be a good lead as to where to find your materials.

http://www.frontstepforge.com/

Neat, that guy is a real smith alright! I didn't even know NAIT had blacksmith class' and I've been going there for two years. :lol:

Cool to see others doing this. I started doing it in high school using sand molds with styrofoam designs in side. I build a lot of drop columns for my dads hotrods pooring the aluminum then using the lathe and milling machines to finish them off.

Great hobby and could turn out to make some extra cash.

• 5 months later...

Alright, I'm back! I've done so many things this summer and I have lots to show you!

I've gotten more alum. to melt down. I'm thinking for building a lathe now.

DSC06425Small.jpg

Here a length of pipe being melted behind a freshly poured bread pan ingot.

DSC06424Small.jpg

I was messing around with some-over from a pour and decided to do one of my hand... my abnormal hand! :smokey:

DSC06423Small.jpg

Edited by Gnaw