Gnaw's CNC Machine - Project Pinocchio

Gnaw

Well this is my big project I've been working/designing for three years. My flying gantry style CNC machine.

The goal of this project is to designed my own software and driving circuits (In progress) for a computer "controller" that reads G-code and M-code commands.

Currently the mechanical construction of it is underway. Its made of MDF board (Hope Boom doesn't see those table saw cuts).

The next phase in the coming weeks will be the installation of the x-axis.

DSC06124Small.jpg

DSC06125Small.jpg

Assembly: Front Construction

Assembly: Read Construction

Edited by Gnaw

Looks good. I've been wanting to build a joescnc but with all the other things I have to play with it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

What are your travels going to be? Maybe you could cut me the parts for mine. Who's plans are you using or is it a homegrown design?

What kind of work do you have for it, or is it just a cool toy?

Keep us updated I'm very interested in this project.

Looks good. I've been wanting to build a joescnc but with all the other things I have to play with it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

What are your travels going to be? Maybe you could cut me the parts for mine. Who's plans are you using or is it a homegrown design?

What kind of work do you have for it, or is it just a cool toy?

Keep us updated I'm very interested in this project.

Ah, great. Always a pleasure to meet people with similar interests.

The physical design was purchased from Rockcliff Machine CO.

The drivers and software will be of my design, as for the max traveling distance I can't remember off the top of my head, I'll have to look it up again.

The type of work I'd like to do with it, once its completed, is etching out PCB's that I've designed in eagle-cad and cutting out foam from a cad image to be used in lost-foam metal casting.

I knew that setup looked familiar to me. I just couldn't get the jgro out of my head though. Good luck with it keep us updated. I suspect the drivers and software are going to be far more difficult than setting up the machine.

I've run across a couple of guys on cnczone that are from Alberta that have made their own machines. Let me know if you want me to get you some user names. I'm pretty sure they just built the machines and bought all the drivers and software though.

I knew that setup looked familiar to me. I just couldn't get the jgro out of my head though. Good luck with it keep us updated. I suspect the drivers and software are going to be far more difficult than setting up the machine.

I've run across a couple of guys on cnczone that are from Alberta that have made their own machines. Let me know if you want me to get you some user names. I'm pretty sure they just built the machines and bought all the drivers and software though.

Thanks, but when you purchase the plans you get a login for CNCzone as well as access to their yahoo group as well.

• 5 months later...

Finished it for Jan. semester! This was where all my time off-line and free-time in real life went besides my 100gal. project (which is my main focus now). Don't have pics in action, although my presentation at school blew everyone else out of the water! Thinking in the near future I'm doing to redesign some things and build this out of metal...

DSC06428Small.jpg

DSC06429Small.jpg

DSC06430Small.jpg

Edited by Gnaw