Kayen's Custom 14x12x10 Nano

Kayen

This is the tank where it'll go down for me .

So the tank in question is a 14x12x10 nothing huge, but i have a like for nanos.

Anyways this is a pre-planning phase of sorts.

This will be a really simplistic of sorts with a stand to fit.

Also note this journal will be one for THREE TANKS.

Me and 2 of my friends are going to start up our tanks @ same time, and see how far we progress.

Anyways here are plans so far:

Tank: 14x12x10 Rimless Glass Tank with starphire front panel made @ Aquarium Illusions ( will be placing the order for THREE/3 sometime this week - my friends are getting some too, they're going to do planted tanks too ! )

Filter: Eheim 2213/2211 if i can't find one - Tom Rapids Nano Canister

Lighting: To be determined - Probably a custom suspended canopy using 2x15 spiral bulbs.

Substrate: ADA Aquasoil Amazonia

Ferts: Going to get my hands on

CO2: DIY 2L + Excel

Stand: ADA style to fit. I'm going to get Boom's expertise here - after i get some saved up ! ( Note if you're reading this, by the time i'll be ready to get it made, the plans for the stand will have significantly be complexified with lots of other features i plan to add. )

Anyways i'll be logging my own and friends progresses as well, and i'll keep a running tally of specs here, and here are friends - undetermined specs at the moment.

A:

Tank: 14x12x10 Rimless Glass Tank with starphire front panel made @ Aquarium Illusions

Filter: Whisper HOB

Lighting: -

Substrate: Fluorite Black Sand

Ferts: Hagen Plant Grow

CO2: DIY 2L + Excel

Stand: His desk.

M:

Tank: 14x12x10 Rimless Glass Tank with starphire front panel made @ Aquarium Illusions

Filter: -

Lighting: -

Substrate: Fluorite Black Sand

Ferts: -

CO2: 2x2L DIY bottles to a glass diffusor

Stand: Some table.

Anyways suggestions?

The other two want to do moss tree's -_-

Note: Since i'm strapped for cash during the school year i will be starting off with crap starter equipment - Until i manage to fabricate a nice fixture for my tank i'll be using a pendant with a singe 23 watt bulb.

Filtration will be an elite mini that will also act as a CO2 reactor, so basically my start up cost would be $42 for the tank.

The substrate, ugly lighting and filter are all things i have.I just need to go buy ferts(dry ferts),

and some aquascaping materials ( rocks, rocks, rocks)

so the price really for me is around $80 to start up, then as i progress,

i'll be adding better things in this order -

1- Canister Filter - $50 (to be determined)

2- Stand $200

3- Lighting (2x15 w bulbs i have the electric part of it i just need a housing) $10 for materials?

So upgrades planned would be say around $300-ish for a nano like this ?

Also friends plan to upgrade to canisters - one of them plans to start with nice lighting and filter off the bat.

Edited by Kayen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how many gallons do you think you'll be getting in total? I know the Nano Reef tank I want to make will be about 16.56 gallons. I am also in the planning stage, sorry about my slowness, if I had read more into everything (which I need do lol) I would have known you'd not have any pictures.

Stand: ADA style to fit. I'm going to get Boom's expertise here - after i get some saved up ! ( Note if you're reading this, by the time i'll be ready to get it made, the plans for the stand will have significantly be complexified with lots of other features i plan to add. )

I'm not sure I like the sounds of this. :)

Boom :boom:

I decided not to complexify it alot.

Just add an extra panel of wood 2 inches behind the tank, and make it 2 inches wider to accomodate the board which will serve as a background, and have that 2 inches sink for about 2 inches so i can install a small fluorescent/LED tube to backlight my background .

Yeah, after the economy stabilizes.

But i'll set it up half way ( get the hardscape, rocks up )

and chuck it in the closet.

Then when i'm ready to go, get the equipment, plant it up, and just go.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys just got a new starphire rimless 14x12x10, so i err , need hardscape suggestions .

GOT IT TODAY SOOOO EXCITED

Will be an emersed set up for the first 3-4, been planning this forever, anyways here's pics:

102_1851.jpg

I also have these two rocks to work with on the side, any suggestions?

102_1852.jpg

Alright here's an update, after playing around here are a few scapes :

102_1853.jpg

102_1855.jpg

Settled for this :

102_1857.jpg

102_1859.jpg

Comments, suggestions, welcome.

Might have been neat to use the rocks as sort of a mountain face in order to build an upper "level".

Have your HC growing at the base of the "mountain face" and plant something else at the top that will grow over the edge of the wall and drape down the face?

Just an idea I thought of with those pretty rocks.

• 2 weeks later...