My 10 gal planted...

thedarkstar

Very interesting, I have some questions. You had an algae bloom on the plants? and when you plucked and thinned them out was there any plants that you tossed due to to much algae? How much do you think a plant can be plucked before you'd toss it?

Thanks I just have some Algae on some of my 20 gallon tank's plants and I dunno what to do with it.

By the way I like the vals you have VERY cute!

Essentially when I plucked, I removed the leaves that had the most algae at the top of the plant. As I see it, if algae is covering the upper leaves, there's no photosynthesis going down. Not a single plant was thrown out, my Hygrophila sunset might need a new home, but I'm still not sure yet. And as for the plucking before I'd toss it... it would take quite a bit before I give up hope. Most of my Echinodorus sp. seems rather weak but with the lighting and imminent CO2 I'm sure it will make it. The plants I thinned the most were those Vals... the spiral Val in specific, they're short at the moment but many of the plants had leaves extending to the surface before I plucked :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry dark. Like you, I've been busy with the school junk.

Those plants look healthy. Let me know if you want some white clouds. I have 3 in a 10 gallon which I haven't had the time to do anything with. I figure I'm going to take the tank down (moving into new apartment), so I need to find them a new home. Your in Edmonton right? Send me a PM if you can take the white clouds I'll check back later today and tomorrow.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Little update, I think my nirtrites/Ammonia are now at 0, but I have a little problem with "worms".

It appears as if there are fly (fruit fly or something) larvae swimming and eating my plants...

Would it hurt the white clouds to add them or would they take care of the issue?

Little update, I think my nirtrites/Ammonia are now at 0, but I have a little problem with "worms".

It appears as if there are fly (fruit fly or something) larvae swimming and eating my plants...

Would it hurt the white clouds to add them or would they take care of the issue?

O sure, cause I finally updated my journal you have to as well 40 seconds after huh? :tongue:

Do you still have the worms? are they those hair-like thin white ones?

What do these fruit-fly's look like?

Edited by Gnaw

To me they look like your basic fruitfly, sometimes with longer antennae

And the worms are like a clearish/green and just move wriggling about, seems like they're destroying my plants...

Looks to be little white spec-like worms too

Edited by thedarkstar

And the worms are like a clearish/green and just move wriggling about, seems like they're destroying my plants...

Whoa, I've never seen anything like that in an aquarium before. Don't suppose you can take a picture? I've tried to google a picture of what you described turned up with zero.

Whoa, I've never seen anything like that in an aquarium before. Don't suppose you can take a picture? I've tried to google a picture of what you described turned up with zero.

way too small to photograph i'd say...

Almost look like Plankton or something

Did you find out what those things where?

Nope, I know some are Planaria and those aren't detrimental to the tank, they say its a result of overfeeding and such...

I havn't had any food at all in this tank...

Just need to clean up the plants, stir up some of the gravel, do a bunch of water changes and all should be well.

Sounds like "Planaria" to me... Google "aquarium planaria" for a fix.

<edit> you beat me to it...(slow typer here)

Edited by cale262

Sounds like "Planaria" to me... Google "aquarium planaria" for a fix.

<edit> you beat me to it...(slow typer here)

Well some are planaria...

But not all, the others are actual worms that are eating the plants... As they eat they seem to form a "cocoon" out of the waste in which they live then poke out the top to eat.