• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys!

Sorry, WTT?

White tank treatment. Used to bring out the gold on XB's. Fish stays lighter background color and highlights the gold- at least that's what its supposed to do. Young xb's it will give you a good idea what they'll turn out like. I'm not a big fan of WTT although its likely here to stay because most farms use it to bring out the Gold in their XB's. I feel it gives them an overall washed out Gold color however some pieces really seem to do well under WTT. I guess its a matter of personal preference. Reds are normally kept in tanks with darker backgrounds. It will bring out the color sooner. You have a long wait ahead of you but the reward will be great! Good quality pic by the way. Congratulations on your new purchase!

Make sure to post updates as this little fish matures. :)

The WTT that the commercial farms use is simply to allow the farm to more accurately gauge the potential of young xback fish. It typically involves keeping the fish in a solid white tank, with dim lighting kept on for long durations. (sometimes 24/7) Without this grooming technique the farms would need to grow the fish out to a larger size to give a more accurate grading on shine/color, and obviously for a commercial operation the sooner they can move fish, the better. Also, if grown to a larger size, one could expect to pay a larger sum of money for the exact same fish. ;)

BTW - a juvie fish groomed in WTT won't hold that high shine or color indefintely, unless the owner of the fish keeps it in WTT when they purchase it. Eventually the fish will gain back the shine/color as it matures, but the WTT is basically just a sneak preview of what's to come down the road. From what I can gather this is a grooming technique that has been used by some farms for many years, but has more recently just been discovered & discussed by hobbyists.