Protomelas sp." spilonotus tanzania liuli"

JORG

Protomelas sp."spilonotus tanzania liuli" are one of my all time favorite haps. Late in 2007 I was lucky and found a wild caught group that consisted of 1 male and 7 females. I placed them in a 220 gal tank as the males can reach 10 plus inches when full grown. Here are some pics of the male.

fish1484-1.jpg

fish791.jpg

Getting fry from this fish has been challenging at first all was good and I had a 100 plus fry in a grow out tank. Then one day I spotted a Red empress sneaking in during breeding and helping out with the fertilizing every time the liuli left to chase away other fish.

fish797.jpg

I removed the red empress and caught and stripped all holding liuli females and culled all eggs and fry that I had thinking it would be easier to start over and not have to worry about hybrids. So naturally the fish decided to take a break from breeding at the same time. While waiting for them to start breeding again the 10 Champs that shared the tank with them put on some size and presented a new problem. Everytime the liuli's would breed the champs would steal all the eggs. Here's a pic you can see a champ right in there looking for eggs.

fish1491.jpg

Yesterday while watching the champs on the egg hunt again I had an idea And separated the liuli's with a peice of plexi glass

fish1493.jpg

no more free eggs

fish1511.jpg

So hopefully I will be able to get some sucsess with their breeding now --here's some pics of them breeding with a little less company

fish1482.jpg

fish1498.jpg

fish1496.jpg

Edited by JORG

Thank's for the compliments------ Funny thing happened today another female was ready to go but I had trouble isolating them with the plexiglass barrier so I went and had a shower thinking I would do it after. When I checked on them after, the female already had a big mouth full and the male was not letting anyone near his spawning area. I don't know for sure but maybe the barrier yesterday reminded the male of the proper procedure