Livingstone Falls Biotope (30 Gallon)

Slough Shark

Here is a journal for my new biotope project.

I will try to replicate the conditions of Livingstone Falls, a 220 mile long series of rapids and cataracts in the lower Congo River. I am going to aim for a shoreline biotope which will still have the fast flow rate, but I can add wood and plants to this area. I couldn't find any information on what plants could/would be found here, it is very hard to find biotope information for Africa (outside the rift lake area). So I will use plants known from the area (Anubias, Eleocharis and Bolbitis).

I always put together a list when I am planning a tank, here's the plan for this tank:

Livingstone Falls (Congo River) Biotope (30 Gal):

Stocking:

Steatocranus casuarius (4) 10cm

Parailia congica (6) 9cm

Atya gabonesis (1) 15cm

Plants:

Anubias

Bolbitis

Eleocharis

If I can't find the Parailia congica (African Glass Catfish) I certainly won't cry over it, it is unlikely that they exist in this rapid section of the river, so I may do away with them completely. Although, I have seen in the field here that species can unexpectedly show up in areas outside their optimal biotope, and I'm sure Africa is the same. The Atya gabonensis (Vampire Shrimp) definitely occur here as their fan-like appendages are adapted to capturing food in the current. Of course, the Steatocranus casuarius come from this area and they are the centrepiece fish (and very interesting). I get mine on Saturday and can't wait!

For filtration I am looking at one Aquaclear 70 and one Fluval 4- more than enough. And two Hydor Koralia Nano Pumps (260 gph each) to replicate the extreme water flow. Does anyone think I should have more gph than that? I think it is sufficient, but the most I have had so far is 160 gph and I think I need to come as close to doubling it as possible. The next step up is the Hydor Koralia 1 which is 400 gph, probably too much.

So that's it for now, and here is a pic of the setup now:

11January2009.jpg

Taylor

So bamboo, sand, round river rocks, mopane(?), clams naturilish biotope? Different, interesting though. With the powerhead - run some pvc the length of the tank, with an inlet on the opposite side. Makes for more of a linear flow - like a river.

Ah yes, the river tank manifold design. I was going to use it, but in a 30 gallon it isn't quite worth it IMO and I have a tile substrate 2/3 of the tank which has styrofoam on the bottom, I'd have to carve out the bottom of the styrofoam to run the PVC to the other side. I had the option when I started up this tank, but decided against it. At least this way I can get more space in the tank and more gph from the powerheads by using Koralias rather than the other standard powerheads.

But when I get my 90 Gallon, I will use that river tank manifold design, it's the only way to have a true river tank!

Thanks for the comment,

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark

Thanks! Probably won't be much to update with in a while, the fish are all in hiding right now while they get used to the surroundings.

Actually, I do have some news right now. I'll have to scratch off the Atya gabonensis, I don't know where the heck I got the idea that these exist in the Congo River. Must have been a thought carried on from another African river rapids biotope plan :eh:

So I guess the tank be just cichlids unless I can find a source that says anything about barbs or schooling catfish in the lower Congo River.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated pic of the tank:

12February2009.jpg

Obviously the brown algae and tannins have darkened the tank somewhat. Luckily this wont last too long because I'm already seeing some green algae development. Also luckily, the tannins haven't affected my photography in the tank, it's just a bit of an eye sore for me.

The fish have been eating high quality flake food for a while now quite happily, and are doing the whole power struggle thing as cichlids will. I may post some new pics here tomorrow if they are all edited by then.

That's all for now!

Taylor

I really enjoy your posts and projects! Very cool. My daughter is starting to show interest in my tanks and i am going to show her your stuff! She loves researching and finding new 'environments' and ways of life and nature. This is going to be fun!