New Planted Tank

jvision

I've had this tank sitting in storage for a while, but finally had a stand built. I've always had vision for this tank having a lush carpet w. a few accent plants in the back, so here's the start.

Right now, it's got most of the E. tennelus from my 135 (which is soon to be a Tang tank!), some Crypt. wendtii, E. osiris, and a Red Tiger Lotus. I also added some Hemi. micranthemumoides (was told it was Glosso at the store, but I'm still happy) and am starting some Riccia fluitans on a couple rocks.

Inhabitants are 8 Orange Lazer Corys, Trio of Blue Mextica Firemouths, and 6 Ammano Shrimp (hope the big Mextica doesn't find them all!). I will likely add the Ottos that I have left from my 135... might get a few more.

The tank is currently open-top with a 96W PC bulb on it. Next week, I'll turn on the 2nd bulb and switch the filter from the current AC2000 to a canister. Eventually, I will be covering the top (probably w. something opaque) and mounting a MH pendant 2' above the tank.

Here are some pics.

This one was taken a couple days ago

001.jpg

And these are today

Full tank

003.jpg

004.jpg

Riccia on rock

006-1.jpg

HC

005-1.jpg

Edited by jvision

Eventually, I will be covering the top (probably w. something opaque) and mounting a MH pendant 2' above the tank.

Do you really mean opaque? Surely that would defeat the purpose of the MH lighting unless you are only wanting reflected light in from the sides.

Seems like you have a BBA problem on some of the plants, but these plants don't require much like so i can see the reasoning for the opaque covering.

Also for your Hemi. micranthemumoides you could try spreading it out a bit more, growth with this plant is a bit variable, like the ones you gave me, some of it is actually carpeting, however other parts of it is growing vertically.

Otherwise, are you adding CO2 at the moment ? Even though It's only around 2wpg, i'm sure as you very well know it'll help, and also with your BBA problem too, (thanks for the heads up with that SAE btw, it's cleaning the stuff up mad, that i don't kill with excel)!

Anyways can't wait to see how this looks once it fills in !

The BBA is b/c it was in my other tank - new light, unballanced ferts, unballance schedule... The Ammano shrimp are taking care of it.

Current fish occupants are:

Thorychthys sp. "Blue Mextica" - trio

Corydoras sp. "Orange Lazer" - 9

Cardina japonica - 6

CO2 is at a few bubbles/sec.

THe reason for an opaque covering is that the MH pendant will be 400W - I don't think I need all of that going into the tank ;)

Thanks, that makes more sense to me now. I haven't really looked into MH lighting and didn't realize they put out that much!

I like the dimensions of the tank. I'm sure you'll have everything looking great before long! :thumbs:

The reason it's so much is that the MH was free. I'm now thinking of ways to position a reflector so that it doesn't pour light into the room (or eyes of people sitting next to the tank).

If any of you photogs want to swing by some time to take some pics of the fish, you're more than welcome! I'm sure I could try, but not sure if I have the patience to fiddle w. the camera settings.