Fertilizer Dosing

jvision

I have been keeping planted tanks for almost 20yrs, and have tried many ways to make my plants happy. I've used soil under the substrate; I've used expensive commercial substrates along with the commercial fertilizers and root tabs; and, just about anything else. There are many different ways to grow plants and keep them healthy, but I am always trying to simplify my life, and I have found Tom Barr's method of using the Estimative Index to feed my plants.

It seems there is always a battle in planted tanks between luscious plant growth and nusance algae - how can you have one without the other? Studies indicate that when plants are supplied with all nutrients they need, and the only limiting factor to their growth is light, they always outperform algae. However, if plants are lacking in any one nutrient (Macronutrients are Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Pottassium, Carbon; Micronutrients are Iron, Boron, Sulphur, etc), algae will get a foothold.

Now to keep plants happy, a person could constantly test for each nutrient to make sure there is ample amount; however, I'd rather spend my hobby money on plants, fish or good lighting instead of all those test kits. That is where the Estimative Index comes in. Tom Barr has done a lot of experimentation to figure out the optimum amount of fertilizer to add to the aquarium, so that we don't have to keep testing. And, since plants are constantly taking up different nutrients in different amounts, dosing once per week isn't all that accurate. That is why it is recommended that a person using the Estimative Index dose EVERY DAY in order to keep ther optimum ballance for their plants.

Now, because we are constantly adding fertilizer to our aqurium, and because the different nutrients aren't all be used by the plants at the same time, there is the danger of certain nutrients building up to dangerous levels over time. That is why, when using the Estimative Index it is important to 'reset' the tank each week with a minimum 50% Water Change. The large water change will ensure that no single nutrient will elevate to toxic levels.

This is one of the easiest methods of growing beautiful aquarium plants - nothing more than daily fert dosing and weekly water changes! No test kits, and no algae!

If you do notice algae creeping in, it is because your tank is deficient in one or more of the Macronutrients (usually) - Carbon is the usual suspect. There are some great resources around the Internet (visit www.thebarrreport.com for more info on EI and battling algae w. fertilizer) to determine which nutrient you are lacking.

Please note: The Estimative Index Method assumes at least 2WPG of lighting and adequate CO2 (or other carbon source) supply.

Also note, the EI is meant for FULLY PLANTED tanks.

Following is a list of dosing instructions

Edited by jvision

General Dosing Guideline for High Light and well planted aquariums. Macronutrients should be dosed on even days, and Micronutrients dosed on odd days.

10- 20 Gallon Aquariums

+/- 1/8 tsp KNO3 (N) 3x a week

+/- 1/32 tsp KH2PO4 (P) 3x a week

+/- 1/32 tsp K2SO4 (K) 3x a week

+/- 1/32 tsp (2ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

50% weekly water change

20-40 Gallon Aquariums

+/- ¼ tsp KN03 3x a week

+/- 1/16 tsp KH2P04 3x a week

+/- 1/16 tsp K2S04 3x a week

+/- 1/16 tsp (5ml) Trace Elements 3x a week

50% weekly water change